Bacon Egg And Cheese Biscuit Braid – This delectable savory bacon egg and cheese biscuit braid was inspired by my dear friend Linda, recipe developer for White Lily Flour. While visiting Nashville recently for a Southern Baking Retreat with White Lily Flour and Martha White, we had the privilege of trying out some their new products. In trying the new products in the test kitchen we got to make some of Linda’s fantastic recipes. We made a sweet biscuit braid using this dough recipe and Linda told me about this savory version using the same dough.
As soon as I returned home, I tried out this breakfast braid. It’s scrumptious but then again, it does include our favorite breakfast ingredients wrapped up like a mouthwatering biscuit dough papoose. Win-win if you ask me. Remember, when you’re working with homemade dough it’s very forgiving. If it tears don’t sweat it just pinch it back together. Don’t try for perfection, it’s homemade and should look rustic and made by hand. That’s where the love is. You can make this with sausage or ham as well if you prefer.
Gild the lily and brush it with a little melted butter after you bake it, too. Why not right? Biscuits and butter go together like peas and carrots. No drips makes this an on-the-go breakfast on those rushed mornings. Breakfast, brunch or breakfast for dinner, it’s an inexpensive way to enjoy something special.
- 2¼ cup self rising flour
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut ½ cup cold cubed butter [1 stick] into the flour until it resembles cornmeal.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Use a fork to work the buttermilk into the flour until fully moistened.
- Turn the dough onto a well flour surface and knead 6-8 times coating with flour. Use a floured rolling pin to roll into an 8 x 12 inch rectangle. Move to the parchment and reshape if needed.
- Whisk together the eggs, sour cream chopped chives salt and black pepper.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a skillet and soft scramble the eggs.
- Arrange the scrambled eggs down the center of the dough. Sprinkle with the bacon crumbles and shredded cheese.
- Cut diagonal strips to within ¼ inch of the filling on both sides. Fold the strips over each other.
- Shape and smooth with your hands, pinching any tears in the dough together.
- Brush the dough on all sides with the remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes broiling within the last few minutes to brown, if desired.
- Cut into slices and serve.