These fun and festive Funfetti Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies are like a party in your mouth! Multi-colored sprinkles are mixed into a homemade creamy sugar cookie dough then baked until very lightly golden. Serve them dusted with powdered sugar or with cream cheese frosting and the only thing left to do is pour a tall glass of ice cold milk and enjoy.
I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again, cookies are one of the small pleasures we get to enjoy in life. Homemade cookie dough is so forgiving and I love that I can keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer even longer ready to bake when we get a cookie craving.
Before baking, I separate this particular dough using a 2 ounce ice cream scoop. If you’re not familiar with scoop sizes, a regular-size ice cream scoop is 4 ounces. You can make these cookies any size you like even using a tablespoon to divide the dough. Keep in mind, the baking time in the recipe instructions is based on 2 ounce rounds of dough so, adjust if using a smaller portion and likewise increase the baking time if using a larger portion of dough. This would be the same rule-of-thumb you would use when baking any cookie. After baking, expect these cookies to have a golden bottom and very little color on top so, don’t be tempted to over bake them. Top with cream cheese frosting and a few more sprinkles then they’re ready to eat.
See it at The Weekend Potluck here
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pure almond extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup multi-colored sprinkles, divided
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 Tbsp salted butter, softened
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 standard baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts. Beat until fluffy and pale yellow in color, around 2 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, salt and nutmeg. Lower the speed of the mixer and add the dry ingredients to the creamed sugar. Continue mixing until fully combined.
- Mix-in ¾ cup sprinkles by hand. Mix until fully distributed.
- Use a 2-ounce ice cream scoop to divide the dough placing 2-inches apart. on the pan
- Using flour fingers gently press to flatten the centers.
- Bake for 12 minutes until the bottoms are golden.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Using a hand mixer cream together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar on low speed.
- After all has been added beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Frost the cooled cookies. Garnish with the remaining sprinkles.
- Store tightly sealed in a single layer, chilled.