This Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna is an absolute family favorite! Tostadas form the “lasagna” noodles and the gooey layers are filled with everything we love about Southwestern cooking. Rotisserie chicken, taco sauce, a dreamy cream cheese layer. black beans, corn and of course, lots of gooey cheese. This Southwestern chicken taco lasagna is guaranteed to take family taco night to a whole new level.
My family is no different than yours, they are always challenging me to come up with different dishes to get them to the table. As a Mom, I’m always keenly aware of getting them to eat their vegetables as freely as they reach for other delicious but, not-as-good-for-them-stuff. Being fans of all things spicy Southwestern, Tex-Mex and Mexican food is always a hot favorite. I began making this version of lasagna using tostada shells and we liked it so much I continued using them instead of corn tortillas for layering. If you prefer, you could use corn tortillas in the same amount to form the “noodles” in this Southwestern version of lasagna. Serve this straight from the oven with salsa, a dollop of sour cream or a drizzle of crema and it’s a one-dish-meal they’ll come running for when the dinner bell rings.
See it at The Weekend Potluck here
- 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 (10) oz can Rotel Chili Fixins'
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 (16) oz medium taco sauce
- 18 Tostadas
- 1 (8) oz Chive & Onion cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn, divided
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and divided
- 3 cups shredded quesadilla or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro, optional
- Assorted toppings: Sour cream, salsa, green onion
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together the chopped chicken, tomatoes, taco seasoning and garlic salt. Set aside.
- Drizzle ¼ cup taco sauce onto the bottom of the dish. Arrange 6 tostada shells over the sauce overlapping where necessary.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the cream cheese and sour cream. Spread ½ over the tostadas.
- Top with ½ of the chicken mixture, ½ cup black beans and ½ cup corn. Top with 1 cup shredded cheese. and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp cilantro.
- Repeat with 6 tostadas, cream cheese, chicken, black beans and corn. Cover with 1 cup shredded cheese and 1 Tbsp cilantro.
- Cover the second layer with 6 tostadas. Pour the taco sauce on top covering completely. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Lay a piece of aluminum foil on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
- Rest for 5 minutes then serve with salsa, sour cream and green onion.