Bacon and Egg Sub for Any Time of Day
Some busy days, all I want to cook is something comforting and simple for supper like this bacon egg and cheese sub topped with spinach and Roma tomatoes. To me, this sub is one of those "anytime of day" sandwiches that can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. There's plenty of room to vary the ingredients to suit your taste, and get creative with the ingredients you have on hand. Eggs are not only a great source of protein but, they're terrific for keeping grocery costs to a minimum. This meal can be prepared and on the table in less than 20 minutes.
Helpful Tips for Making Egg Subs
- The beauty of this breakfast sub is, you can slice the loaf into any size you like depending on how many servings you need.
- You could use ham or sausage in place of bacon.
- You can also have full creative rights to stuff with sautéed mushrooms or vegetables of choice.
- Other sub recipes you may enjoy Taco Stuffed Bread, Chicken Bacon Ranch Stuffed Bread and Sloppy Joes Stuffed Bread.
- You may also like this Hot Ham and Cheese Sub from Taste of Home.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bacon Egg and Cheese Sub
- 8 extra large eggs or the equivalent of egg whites
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or green onions
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- 5 tablespoon salted butter divided
- 1 (21 inch) soft French or Italian baguette
- 8 slices Colby-Jack cheese [or your favorite]
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise adjust amount to taste
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, chives, salt and black pepper. Add crumbled bacon. To cook, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet then add egg mixture. Cook gently over medium heat until cooked through, turning pan and turning eggs gently as needed
- To assemble: Preheat oven to broil and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Slice french baguette in half from end to end and spread 4 tablespoon butter on both sides. Place the bottom piece of the baguette on a baking sheet. Toast the bottom of the baguette in the oven until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven and arrange the cooked egg over the toasted side of the baguette. Top with the Colby-Jack cheese slices.
- Place top half on the pan butter side up. Return to the oven broiling until the cheese melts on the egg and the top of the baguette is toasted and golden.
- Remove from oven, dress with mayo (if using) and arrange spinach and sliced tomatoes over cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into equal portions and serve immediately.