This sub can be varied to suit your tastes, or quite honestly, you can be creative with whatever ingredients you have on hand. Eggs are not only a great source of protein but, they’re terrific for keeping grocery costs to a minimum. This meal can be prepared and on the table in less than 20 minutes.
Bacon Egg And Cheese Sub With Spinach And Roma Tomatoes
- For the eggs you'll need:
- 8 x-large eggs or the equivalent of egg whites
- 6 slices pork or turkey bacon cooked & crumbled
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives or green onion tops
- 1/4 cup milk or half & half
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 8 slices Colby-Jack cheese [or your favorite]
- 1 21 inch soft French or Italian baguette
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- mayonnaise [to your taste]
- Whisk together the eggs, half & half, chopped chives, salt and black pepper. Add the crumbled bacon. Melt 1-2 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet and add the egg. Let the egg cook gently over medium heat until cooked through, turning gently as needed
- While the eggs are cooking, preheat the oven to broil.
- Slice the baguette in half, and butter both sides. Place the bottom piece of the baguette on a baking sheet. Toast the bottom of the baguette in the oven until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven and arrange the cooked egg over the toasted baguette.
- Top with the Colby-Jack cheese slices.
- Return to the oven with the top piece of the baguette. Lay side by side. Broil until the cheese melts on the egg and the top baguette is toasted and golden.
- To assemble, top with fresh spinach and sliced tomatoes. Dress with mayonnaise if desired. Cut into equal potions and serve immediately.