This Broccoli Cheese Cornbread recipe is one of those homestyle dishes that goes with a variety of meals. It’s filled with steamed broccoli florets, corn muffin mix, flavorful seasonings and plenty of sharp cheddar cheese. The ingredient combination results in a cornbread casserole that bakes tender, cheesy and packed with flavor.
Easy Broccoli Cheese Cornbread Recipe
Potluck classics like this cheesy broccoli cornbread are always a happy sight on our dinner table. This variation is my own inspired by a recipe from an old church cookbook that I have, filled with Southern potluck favorites. I dare say, I probably never attended a church potluck supper that someone didn’t bring some variation of a broccoli casserole to share. In fact, there were usually several types to choose from. This recipe was inspired by the original with a few added twists to update it and make it my own. How to make Broccoli Cheese Cornbread:
- Broccoli – Steamed broccoli florets these can be either frozen or fresh.
- Soft Cheese – Light garlic-herb spreadable cheese i.e. Boursin or Alouette.
- Cheese – Grated sharp white cheddar cheese or golden cheddar cheese.
- Eggs – 4 large eggs.
- Butter – Melted salted or unsalted butter.
- Onion – Diced sweet or white onion. You could also use finely diced shallots.
- Cornmeal – One box of cornbread mix either Martha White or Jiffy or your favorite brand.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, ground mustard and onion powder.
How to Make the Best Broccoli Cheese Cornbread Recipe
Cornbread casseroles like this one just spell comfort. You can serve it as a side dish with any meal as well as a bowl of soup or chili, pinto beans or even with a meatloaf, fried chicken or a salad for a meatless meal. I’ve served it as a side dish with many meals, it’s not limited to just those things.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for homemade Broccoli Cheese Cornbread: Steamed broccoli florets, spreadable garlic and herb cheese i.e. Boursin or Alouette, large eggs, sweet onion such as Vidalia, butter, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, one box of cornbread and muffin mix i.e. Martha White or Jiffy, ground mustard, garlic and onion powders.
- To make broccoli cheese cornbread, you’ll need a large mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a large non stick spoon or spatula for mixing everything together and an 11 x 7 inch baking dish for baking.
- This recipe is one that basically mixes everything together then dump and bake. This is how you make it: In a mixing bowl mix together the steamed broccoli, garlic-herb cheese spread, 4 eggs, melted butter and finely diced onion until blended. Then you add the cornbread mix, 1/2 of the shredded cheese and seasonings. Mix everything together then pour it into the dish and sprinkle with the reserved cheddar cheese. All that’s left to do is the baking.
- The garlic-herb seasoned cheese in this recipe is a soft spreadable cheese such as Boursin or Alouette.
- You can use regular cheddar cheese in the same amount as white cheddar called for in the recipe, of course.
- The original broccoli cheese cornbread as seen in the church cookbook that I referenced uses cottage cheese in place of the garlic-herb cheese in my recipe. You can do so, if you prefer. When adding it, you’ll need around 2/3 cup.
- Store leftover broccoli cheese cornbread in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
- You can freeze broccoli cheese cornbread after cooling it for up to 1 month.
- If you’d like to try a muffin variation, checkout my recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Corn Muffins.
More Southern Style Cornbread Recipes to Make
Cornbread ties with biscuits as the house bread of the South. It can be served at any meal and the sky’s the limit with mix-ins and variations. More cornbread recipes you may like to try:
- Okra Cornbread is a must make when okra is in season.
- Stuffed Mexican Cornbread is a meal on it’s own or you can serve it as part of a homemade fiesta.
- Hot Water Cornbread is a humble dish that’s delicious and simple to make.
- Sausage filled Chili Chorizo Cornbread is packed with flavor.
- Amazing Sweet Potato Cornbread is a fall favorite.
- Individual Cornbread Muffins.
- You may also like this Chicken and Cornbread Casserole recipe from Bread, Booze and Bacon.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli florets roughly chopped
- 1 6.5 oz container light garlic-herb spreadable cheese i.e. Boursin or Alouette
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese divided
- 1 8.5 oz box cornbread mix [Martha White or Jiffy]
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 11 x 7 inch (2 Quart) baking dish. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together, the steamed broccoli, garlic-herb cheese spread, 4 eggs, melted butter and finely diced onion until blended.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, cornbread mix and seasonings. Stir until combined.
- Pour into the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and you see moist crumbs on a toothpick inserted into the center.