Easy Broccoli Salad Recipe
How to Make the Best Broccoli Salad Recipe
Broccoli salad is one of those deli salads that are commonly found all throughout the South. As with any recipe, cook’s often remake salad recipes to include the little ingredient twists that they know their family will enjoy. That’s precisely reflected in this recipe with just a couple of ingredients switches. This is one of those easy salad recipes that comes together in a snap and the sweet and tangy dressing adds just the right touch.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this easy recipe for Broccoli Salad: Fresh broccoli florets, cooked bacon, onion, dried cranberries or raisins, toasted pecans and shredded cheddar cheese.
- To make the dressing for broccoli salad this is what you do: In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, diced pimentos, sugar, apple cider vinegar, Mrs Dash seasoning (if using) salt, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Is it necessary to blanch the broccoli for this salad? A through cleaning is all you need to do to make this broccoli salad. I’ve never found it necessary to blanch it prior to assembling with the remaining ingredients.
- You may enjoy adding sliced cherry tomatoes which is a fantastic Summer version when fresh produce is in abundance.
- My version of broccoli salad includes toasted pecans and dried cranberries, although each can be switched out with alternatives, if you prefer. Some broccoli salads call for sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds and raisins or golden raisins in place of dried cranberries. Make it your own.
- You could also switch out the pecans for sliced almonds or chopped walnuts. Regardless, take the time to toast the nuts or seeds for added flavor.
- You can also use a different flavor of shredded cheese such as a mild or medium cheddar or colby jack cheese in the same amount called for in the recipe.
- Store broccoli salad in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Southern Salad Recipes to Make
I’d be hard pressed to think of a meal that wouldn’t suit a salad of some kind on the menu as a side dish. More easy salad recipes you may like to try:
- Homestyle Macaroni Salad is a warm weather staple.
- A colorful Seven Layer Salad is a feast for the eyes.
- This creamy Grape Salad Recipe can double as a side dish or a dessert.
- A Tomato Cracker Salad is always the talk of the table.
- Another delicious refrigerator salad you may like is this Bell Pepper Salad from Know Your Produce.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 4 cup fresh broccoli florets stems trimmed and florets separated
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins [optional]
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan or walnut pieces [or 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds]
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 oz pimentos drained
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Original Mrs Dash (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Clean the broccoli and separate the florets, removing most of the stem.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients then gently toss with the broccoli, bacon, diced red onion, cranberries, pecan pieces and shredded cheese.
- Reserve a few bacon crumbles and toasted nuts for garnishing.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.