You can use any of your favorite appetizer breads, crackers or crisps. This sweet onion and mushroom topping can easily be made ahead of time, then reheated and assembled when you’re ready to serve your guests. They’re a wonderful meat free option and a tasty choice for anytime snacking!
Ingredients you’ll need:
It’s always a good idea to have extra pretzels, pita’s or breads handy just in case you have extra toppings and can assemble more canapes than expected.
October 2012 published Cookbook Feature: The Snack Factory
Website feature 11/30/12 https://pretzelcrisps.com/4227/
Caramelized Onion And Rosemary Mushroom Canapes
- 24 garlic parmesan pretzel crisps
- 16 oz. baby portabella/button/cremini mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 3 1/2 Tbs. olive oil divided
- 3 Tbs. fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Chop the mushrooms into bite size pieces. Quarter and thinly slice the onion.
- In a medium saucepan, drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil, then add the sliced onion. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, then lower the heat to medium-low.
- Continue to cook the onion for another 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Cook for another 2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the vinegar has evaporated, then remove the caramelized onions from the heat.
- While the onions are caramelizing, in a separate saucepan over high heat add 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and all of the mushrooms. Lower the heat to medium and continue to sauté the mushrooms for 6-7 minutes until golden. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of chopped rosemary and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- To assemble, Place 24 pretzel crisps on a serving platter. Divide the mushrooms and the caramelized onions evenly on each pretzel crisp.
- Sprinkle with about ½ teaspoon of goat cheese on each canapé and garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of chopped rosemary.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
It's always a good idea to have extra pretzels, pita's or breads handy just in case you have extra toppings and can assemble more canapes than expected.