Turn one of those inexpensive loaves of bread at the grocery store bakery into this gooey Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread. You can make this delectable bread in the oven or on a grill.
Easy Cheesy Garlic Herb Bread Recipe
I can't think of many meals where a side of bread isn't the ideal accompaniment. At our house, bread doubles as a scoop for dips and sauces as well as dipping in soups and stews. Italian dishes go hand in glove with a side salad and bread to sop up the sauce. In this instance, you can serve this bread straight from the oven or wrapped in foil ands grilled outside or when camping.
How to Make the Best Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread Recipe
The combination of herbs I use in this bread is the classic trio of parsley, basil and rosemary. It doesn't disappoint and I've been known to serve this both as a side dish and an appetizer with warm pizza sauce for dipping.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread recipe: one large italian bread loaf, butter, chopped Italian parsley, fresh basil, fresh rosemary, salt, minced garlic, sliced mozzarella or provolone cheese.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A cutting board and bread knife, mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a spoon or spreading spatula to spread the garlic butter mixture between the slices and a large sheet pan for baking the bread.
- The garlic herb butter can be made one day in advance, placed into an airtight container and chilled until assembling the bread.
- You can use chives in place of parsley or basil, in a pinch.
- Rosemary has a very robust flavor so, you can adjust the amount to your taste, if desired.
- This bread can be assembled in advance, wrapped in foil and chilled until you're ready to bake or grill.
- Provolone is my go to for this recipe. Mozzarella works well, too.
- Use one full slice of cheese cut in half for each slice. It's easier to stuff between the slices when cut in half.
- Store leftover Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread wrapped and chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in the microwave in single servings.
How to Grill Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread
This garlic bread recipe can also be made on the grill. This is what you do:
- Heat gas grill to medium-low or a charcoal grill until coals are ash white. Push coals to one side of charcoal grill.
- Prepare the bread per the recipe wrapping in heavy duty aluminum foil. This can be done in advance and chilled until making.
- Place foil wrapped bread opposite heat on grill. Close lid grilling for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
- Serve immediately.
More Southern Style Bread Recipes to Make
- You may also like my recipes for pull apart Mozzarella Cheese Garlic Bread, Pepper Jack Cheese Bread and 3 Cheese Italian Herb Bread.
- Make your own Homemade Pizza Dough for pizza night at home.
- This recipe from homemade Sunflower Oat Wheat Bread features a combination of flavor that makes it taste nutty and delicious.
- Garlic Parmesan Pull Apart Bread is a fan favorite year after year.
- Easy Cinnamon Roll French Bread requires no bread making at all.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Keto Cornbread from All Day I Dream About Food.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread
- 1 12 inch loaf French bread
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 12 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set aside a baking sheet. Prepare a large piece of heavy duty foil, Spritzed lightly with cooking spray.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 12 diagonal slices through bread without cutting all the way to the bottom. (Yield may be less depending on length of bread)
- In a small bowl, whip together butter, Parmesan, parsley, basil, rosemary, salt and garlic.
- Spread each slice with garlic and herb butter reserving 1 tablespoon to spread on top. Place two half pieces of cheese into each cut. Spread remaining garlic and herb butter over top and sides of loaf.
- Place onto foil and bring edges up to seal. Place onto baking sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasty. Open foil and broil top, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Heat gas grill to medium-low or a charcoal grill until coals are ash white. Place coals to one side of charcoal grill.
- Prepare the bread per the recipe wrapping in heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Place opposite heat on grill. Close lid; grill 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
- Serve immediately.
Can you make this in ninja 300 Airfryer
I haven't tested it, if you try it let us know how it goes!
Can you use dried herbs?
If that's what you have on hand, you could adapt.
Made this recipe the other day and it was delicious. Will be making again.
Would this be a good recipe to make and freeze for later?
You can freeze this, sure.