These Cider Glazed Apple Dumplings are a super versatile option that can be served as a breakfast or brunch treat but, they're equally delicious served for dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Made with easy to find ingredients they're smothered in an apple cider sauce, that makes them simply irresistible any time of day.
Cider Glazed Apple Dumplings a Family Tradition
As a family, one of our favorite places to visit is an apple orchard and farm that we love in Tennessee. In their cider bar, they have the most fantastic selection and array of apple, everything. One of their signature dessert items is an apple dumpling, made with one whole apple picked fresh from the orchard, then wrapped in pie pastry and baked until golden. Regardless if you enjoy them with, or without, a scoop of ice cream, they're a meal in themselves.
Helpful Tips for Making Homemade Apple Dumplings
Adults love those huge orchard dumplings, but they can be a little cumbersome for little ones. For a taste of those same flavors at home, I make these cider glazed apple dumplings. The chopped apple filling is reminiscent of apple pie. Simple to make, these dumplings can be enjoyed when we're in the mood for a little taste of apple orchard delicacies in our own home.
- Should you need to, apple juice can be used in place of cider.
- For us, ice cream isn't optional. That being said, you can certainly eat them on their own or with a dollop of whipped cream.
- For more apple inspiration, checkout my Parade article featuring 20 Juicy Apple Dessert Recipes That Aren't Pie and this recipe for Crumb Apple Muffins from Crazy for Crust.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cider Glazed Apple Dumplings
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 ½ cup apple cider [sparkling or plain]
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar plus 1 Tbsp
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon divided
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 12 oz can 10 count flaky biscuits [ I used Grands! Jr]
- 2 cup apples peeled, cored and diced [variety of your preference]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter an 8 x 12 inch baking dish.
- On the stovetop in a small saucepan, mix together the cider, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes until reduced and the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and add 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.
- Toss the apples with 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1 Tbsp granulated sugar.
- Flatten each biscuit into roughly a 5 inch circle.
- Divide the chopped apples evenly between the biscuit rounds. Place into the middle. Fold the dough over the filling and press together tucking the ends under. Place seam side down in the buttered baking dish.
- Arrange the apple dumplings side by side in the baking dish.
- Pour the cider sauce over the biscuits.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- To serve, spoon the cider sauce over the dumplings and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 384mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 299IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg