These Creole Sweet Potato Nests are filled with a homemade roasted sweet corn relish and a dollop of sour cream. These creole spiced sweet potato nests can be served as an appetizer or a side dish. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Creole Sweet Potato Nests with a Homemade Corn Relish
I often make sweet potato casseroles, or even twice baked but, it was time to get creative and put a twist on a favorite. They're delicious stuffed and baked individually like this recipe for stuffed sweet potatoes or roasted sweet potato fries. I love sweet potatoes topped with pecans, streusel or gooey marshmallows just like any other Southerner. A little creativity can take you in a whole new direction and give you an incredible variation and flavor palate to enjoy. Spicing these up and topping them with a sweet roasted corn relish will make my vegetarian friends and family members very happy.
Helpful Tips for Making Creole Sweet Potato Nests
- Divide the mixture evenly into 12 muffin cups. You can use a standard round muffin pan or a square pan as pictured above in the process images.
- Depending on how you divide the mixture, you may be able to yield 14 nests so, have another pan handy.
- Press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup. Spritz each nest lightly with butter flavored cooking spray. This will give them a nice golden color and crunch.
- To assemble, place the nests onto a serving platter. I topped some nests with a dollop of sour cream first, and some with the corn relish. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve warm.
- Panko breadcrumbs are a light and crispy Japanese breadcrumb. They are readily available in most grocery stores, and they're usually located with the other breading products.
- The corn relish can be prepared in advance and chilled until assembly.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creole Sweet Potato Nests with Roasted Sweet Corn Relish
Servings: 12 servings
- 4 ½ cups grated fresh sweet potatoes
- 2 large egg whites
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ teaspoon creole seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Roasted Corn Relish: (Optional)
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn
- ⅓ cup red pepper finely diced
- ⅓ cup diced green pepper finely diced
- garlic salt
- The dressing:
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ tsp. creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup red onion minced
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 oz sour cream
- 3 tablespoon chopped cilantro to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray each cup of a muffin tin with butter cooking spray.
- Grate the sweet potatoes, leaving the peel intact. Squeeze or blot the grated sweet potatoes to remove any excess moisture. Add to a mixing bowl.
- to the bowl add egg whites, parmesan cheese, panko breadcrumbs, Creole seasoning and salt. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 12 muffin cups. Press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup. Spritz each nest lightly with butter flavored or canola cooking spray.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes until the edges are brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and allow them to rest for 3 minutes before you attempt to remove them from the muffin cups. Run a knife or offset spatula around each to gently loosen the edges.
- Corn Relish: (Optional) Preheat oven to 450°F. Arrange the corn in a single layer on a baking sheet that has been lightly misted with cooking spray. Mix in the diced red and green peppers.
- Lightly spritz the corn with cooking spray or an olive oil mister, and sprinkle with garlic salt. Roast the corn on the top rack of the oven at 450°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, in a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, olive oil, creole seasoning and cayenne. Add red onion.
- Ad roasted corn and 2 tablespoon cilantro, toss gently and set aside. Adjust the salt and pepper to your taste.
- To assemble: Place the nests onto a serving platter. Top with a dollop of sour cream, and corn relish. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve warm.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 152kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 229mg | Potassium: 317mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7604IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
Hi Didi! Yes, a trial run or two is always a good idea...hugs honey!!
Yes ma'am you can! 🙂
Oh my heaven's sissy, so these sound beautiful... I can so picture them for Thanksgiving!!!
Thank you!!! Of course I have to make a trial batch and just test and stuff...
Can I come live with you, twin? Those are amazing. sw☺
Hi Colleen!!! Thank you, great to hear from you!! xoxo
This looks wonderful! Yum! Colleen Sowa