Green Bean Casserole Remix - We've all had it, at some point, the popular casserole with the canned french style green beans, mushroom soup and topped off with french style onions. I have a confession to make....I'm not a fan. However, the flavor combination is great, and I wondered what it might be like to update this classic green bean casserole dish
Green Bean Casserole Remix
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1.6 oz packet of garlic & herb sauce mix [I used Knorr]
- 2 Tbsp butter divided
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 [24 oz] bag whole frozen green beans thawed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 minced shallot or ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 8 oz sliced button mushroom
- salt & black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 [3.5 oz] bag of garlic-pepper crispy onions [I used Fresh Gourmet]
- To prepare the garlic & herb sauce, mix the entire packet with 1 ½ cups of milk and one tablespoon of butter and bring to a boil in a small pot. Cook for 3 minutes whisking continually. Reduce the heat to a simmer and keep warm while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Steam the green beans per the instructions on the package, slightly undercooking, or cook in salted water until crisp tender. [around 4-5 minutes] Drain well.
- Set the green beans aside while you prepare the mushrooms.
- In the same pot, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil then add the minced shallot. Cook until the shallot becomes translucent then add the mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook the mushrooms on medium high heat for 5-6 minutes or, until they begin to caramelize and brown.
- Increase the heat slightly, then pour the red wine vinegar over the mushrooms.
- Add one tablespoon of butter and the partially cooked green beans to the mushrooms.
- Saute everything together on medium-high heat until the green beans are heated through and tender. [around 4-5 minutes] Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- To serve, arrange the sauteed green beans and mushrooms on a serving platter, drizzle with the garlic & herb cream sauce then sprinkle with garlic-pepper onions. Serve hot.