When you need to get creative with pantry ingredients these baked Honey Nut Chicken Strips are just the ticket. Serve them as an appetizer or an entree and watch them disappear.
Honey Nut Chicken Strips are Coated with Cereal for Crunch
It’s not a new concept to crush cereal or chips and use it to coat pieces of chicken or fish. That said, this particular recipe evolved out of a need. My son really wanted chicken tenders for dinner, but as fate would have it, I didn’t have any on hand. I always have boneless skinless chicken in the freezer, so I cut breast pieces into strips and brushed each piece with honey mustard. I rolled each piece in a crumb mixture of crushed honey nut cereal and french fried onions and it worked like a charm. The boys loved it, and another dinner crisis was averted. You never know what treasures you may find in a stocked pantry.
Helpful Tips for Making Chicken Strips
- You can use chicken tenders or chicken breasts cut into strips for this recipe.
- When coating the chicken, the breading can be a bit delicate so, handle them as little as possible once coated.
- While I drizzle these lightly with butter, you can use an oil sprayer or cooking spray to spritz each piece before baking.
- You can make these appetizer size by cutting the chicken breasts into bite sized chunks. Adjust the baking time to 15 minutes then serve them with toothpicks for easy bite size dipping.
- Other easy chicken recipes from the MSSK recipe index to try: Oven Fried Provolone Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken or Sweet and Spicy Cajun Wings that are baked not fried.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Crock Pot Honey Nut Snack Mix from Recipes that Crock.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Honey Nut Chicken Strips
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 pieces) OR equivalent of chicken tenders
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- few dashes paprika (eyeball amount)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Honey Nut Chex cereal crushed
- 1 cup french fried onions crushed
- 2/3 cup honey mustard plus additional for dipping
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut each piece of chicken into 3 strips, making sure to keep the strips as uniform as possible in size.
- Season the chicken strips with garlic salt, pepper and paprika. Brush each piece on all sides with honey mustard.
- Toss together cereal and fried onions in a shallow bowl or plate. Roll each strip in the crumbs coating evenly on all sides. Press firmly.
- Place the strips onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with additional paprika, if desired..
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and juices run clear.
- Serve immediately with additional honey mustard on the side for dipping.
For appetizer size, cut the chicken breasts into bite sized chunks and bake for 15 minutes. Serve with toothpicks for easy dipping.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 354mg | Potassium: 223mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 351IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 2mg