This fresh Pico de Gallo is a fresh salsa that's ideal for serving as a condiment for Mexican and Southwestern food. It's delicious eaten on salads, tacos, enchiladas, fajitas or enjoy it with tortilla chips as a dip with a side of guacamole. It's packed with flavor and healthy to boot. It doesn't get any better than that.
Easy Pico de Gallo Recipe
I make pico de gallo year-round since we are fortunate to have access to quality fresh produce anytime of year. One of my dear friends plants a salsa garden just so they can grow their own crop of ingredients to have on hand and make it straight from the vine. That takes farm to table to another level. It's a low calorie salsa but, packs BIG flavor and nutrients. I wouldn't dream of hosting a fiesta without it any time of year. Another vegetable packed condiment we also love is this Cowboy Caviar.
How to Make the Best Pico de Gallo Recipe
Pico de gallo is simple goodness with fresh flavors that compliment any dish. It can be easily doubled or downsized, whatever the size of the crowd you're feeding. It's so scrumptious and good for you.
- Ingredients you'll need to make fresh Pico de Gallo: Roma tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno peppers, fresh cilantro, lime juice, lemon pepper, garlic salt and black pepper.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A sharp knife and chopping board, a medium size mixing bowl, a large spoon for stirring and measuring spoons.
- The ingredients in this recipe will easily double or triple, if you need a larger batch.
- You can expand this easy pico de gallo recipe using poblano peppers in place of jalapeno peppers or add serrano chiles to the mix. For a milder flavor, use green bell peppers or use less jalapeno peppers.
- People tend to either love or hate cilantro there seems to be little middle ground on this herb. We're in the love category and I can't imagine making pico de gallo without it. That said, you could omit or replace it with the same amount of chopped flat leaf parsley.
- Make this easy pico de gallo several hours or up to one day in advance and store chilled in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Store leftover pico de gallo in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Southern Style Recipes to Serve with Pico de Gallo
Are you planning a homestyle fiesta soon? There's nothing like setting up a taco bar or a build your own nachos bar for a fun interactive meal. You may also like to try these Southern style recipes for your family fiesta night straight from my kitchen to yours:
- Use this fresh pico to garnish this Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread.
- Make easy Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas with bell peppers and onion made in the oven.
- Grab a bag of chips and start dipping this Mexican Fiesta Dip.
- Treat the family to Sheet Pan Chili Lime Chicken Fajitas for supper.
- You may also love this Grilled Corn Salad for dipping or as a topping for tacos.
- You might also like to try making your own Homemade Tortillas like this recipe from Mom on Timeout.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pico de Gallo
Servings: 2 cups
- 3 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 Roma tomatoes or 3 medium fresh garden tomatoes
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper finely diced
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice and seasonings.
- Dice the tomatoes and red onion and add to the bowl.
- Use a spoon to remove the membrane and seeds from the jalapeno then dice. Add to the bowl with the chopped cilantro.
- Stir until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and additional salt if needed.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Remember, to always wash your hands well after handling hot peppers.
Serving: 1batch | Calories: 53kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 301mg | Potassium: 435mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1302IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
Leave a Reply