This Santa Fe Beef and Cheddar Chowder is a Southwestern twist on a rich and cheesy chowder. Serve it with corn muffins, tortilla strips or chips for crunch. It's filled with festive Southwestern flavors and makes the perfect dinner after a busy day.
Santa Fe Beef and Cheddar Chowder
Santa Fe Beef And Cheddar Chowder
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1 small green or poblano pepper diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ¼ cup plus one Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1.25 oz packet taco seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 32 oz carton chicken stock
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies ] [i.e. Rotel]
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 11 oz can Mexican corn drained
- 1 16 oz block 2% cheese, i.e. Velveeta cubed
- 1 cup 2 % milk
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- assorted toppings for serving: tortilla strips or chips, chopped green onions, shredded cheese
- In a large stove top pot or dutch oven, cook onion and peppers over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add ground beef. Cook the ground beef until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pot.
- To the pot add flour. Mix until beef is coated. Add taco seasoning, seasoned salt and lemon pepper. Mix well.
- Increase heat and gradually add chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans and corn. Bring to a boil then, decrease heat to medium-low. Taste and adjust the salt, if needed.
- Simmer covered on medium-low for 25-30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, uncover. To the pot add cubed Velveeta and milk. Stir constantly over low heat, until the cheese is completely melted.
- Allow to bubble on low heat for another 10 minutes Add cilantro and 2 chopped green onions just before serving.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
- This chowder has a very rich texture without using full fat cheese and milk. If desired, this chowder can be prepared using full fat dairy.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 1603mg | Potassium: 322mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 569IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2mg