Santa Fe Beef And Cheddar Chowder – We really love a variety of cuisines and spicy dishes from all around the world. Being in the US, Mexican food and Mexican inspired cuisine is abundant and incredibly popular. As a family, we enjoy this style of cooking and food on a regular basis, and I’m always looking for more ways to add these flavors to our menu.
Santa Fe Beef And Cheddar Chowder
Servings: 6 -8
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red pepper diced
- 1 small green or poblano pepper diced
- olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef [ground turkey or chicken works well too]
- 1/4 cup plus one Tbsp AP [all purpose] flour
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 2 tsp each cumin chili powder and dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 [10 oz] can diced tomatoes with green chilies [i.e. Rotel]
- 1 [15 oz] can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 [11 oz] can Mexican corn drained
- 1 16 oz block of 2% easy melting cheese cubed [i.e. Velveeta]
- 1 cup 2 % milk
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- assorted toppings: tortilla strips chopped green onions, shredded cheese
- In a large stove top pot or dutch oven, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the diced peppers and onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the ground beef and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cook the ground beef until no pink remains.
- Drain any excess fat from the pot, then add 1/4 cup plus one tablespoon of flour.
- Add the lemon pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano and cayenne stirring to coat all of the ground beef and vegetables evenly.
- Increase the heat and stir in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans and corn. Bring to a boil before decreasing the heat to medium-low. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Simmer on medium-low for 25-30 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, cube the cheese. After 25 minutes, add the cheese to the soup along with one cup of 2 % milk. Stir constantly over low heat, until the cheese is completely melted.
- Allow to bubble on low heat for another 10 minutes, then add the chopped cilantro and 2 chopped green onions just before serving.
- Serve hot.
This chowder has a very rich texture without using full fat cheese and milk. If desired, this chowder can be prepared using full fat dairy. However, it's not necessary for this soup to have a rich and satisfying taste.
Hi, thanks for stopping by to visit my website My name is Melissa, I’m a busy Mom, author, recipe developer, photographer, food writer and blogger. I’m passionate about creating delicious dishes to share with family and friends!