The smoked sausage is so delicious in these beans, and adding the crispy onions at the end adds a nice crunch that you'd expect from an oven baked casserole. Serve over buttered cornbread as a main dish or as a hearty and filling side dish.
- I used Bush's brand bourbon brown sugar beans for this recipe. You may substitute with plain baked beans, if desired.
- Please note, as the bean casserole sits, the sauce will thicken and intensify in flavor.
- At the end of cooking after removing the lid to top with onions, leave uncovered for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Corn is completely optional but, adds a nice dimension to the flavor overall.
- Should you choose to omit the bourbon, add ¼ cup of molasses instead to add smokiness to the flavor.
- It's ideal to add the cubed or sliced kielbasa at the end of cooking to avoid it over cooking.
- You may also enjoy these recipes also made in a slow cooker: slow cooker sweet cornbread, slow cooker creamed corn or slow cooked triple cheddar macaroni and cheese.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Slow Cooked Bourbon Beans Casserole
- 8 slices bacon cooked & crumbled (Reserve 2 tablespoon drippings)
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 22 oz cans bourbon & brown sugar baked beans i.e. Bush's
- 1 10 oz can diced chili style tomatoes i.e. Rotel Chili Fixin's or regular Rotel tomatoes and chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn optional
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- ⅓ cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoon Fiesta or Taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoon chopped cilantro divided
- 1 14 oz smoked sausage i.e. kielbasa cubed or sliced
- 1 cup french fried onions crushed
- Spray a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set it on low.
- In a stove top pan, cook the bacon until crisp, then crumble and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoon drippings in pan. Add onion and peppers to drippings. Cook over medium high for 2-3 minutes, Add garlic, cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Cook the onions and peppers in 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings until they begin to soften and turn translucent. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Pour cooked vegetables, beans, tomatoes, corn (if using), barbecue sauce, bourbon, fiesta seasoning, salt and 2 tablespoon cilantro into slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. 1 hour prior to the end of cooking add sausages. Stir thoroughly.
- At the end of cooking, uncover, mix in bacon, reserved cilantro and sprinkle with french fried onions.
- Let uncovered stand for 15 minutes prior to serving.
- As the bean casserole sits, the sauce will thicken and intensify in flavor.
- After topping with onions, I recommend that you leave the lid off the slow cooker for about 15 minutes before serving.