Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs are fall apart tender and bathed in a homemade spicy-sweet barbecue sauce. Once assembled, the slow cooker does the rest. it doesn't get any better than that.
Easy Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe
These ribs were inspired by a family trip we enjoyed to Myrtle Beach SC where we visited a restaurant called 21 Main Prime Steakhouse. They featured a carefully crafted menu inspired by the house Chef who regularly rotated the selections being offered. During our stay, the Chef was featuring a signature dish of braised beef short ribs cooked in a tomato based sauce which he chose to serve over a bed of cheese grits. I knew I had to try them. I wasn't disappointed, they were so incredibly tender and delicious, I had to go back twice to enjoy them during our visit. They inspired me to come up with a slow cooker version to make them a bit easier to prepare at home. This slow cooker recipe was the result.
How to Serve Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs
Slow cooking results in beef short ribs that are fall apart tender. It has the same effect when making slow cooked beef stew or slow cooked Dr Pepper barbecue beef. These ribs are perfection smothered in a flavorful sauce and then cooked low and slow all day long. I love serving these tender ribs over Parmesan cheese grits, just as they did at 21 Main. They are also quite tasty with a side of buttered rice or mashed potatoes. I highly recommend taking the time to brown them before slow cooking for the added depth of flavor it lends to these beef ribs. They're a special dish for a special occasion.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs: 4 pounds of beef short ribs, all purpose flour, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, ground cumin, granulated garlic or garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and olive oil or vegetable oil.
- To make the Sauce: One can Rotel Chili Fixins tomatoes, ketchup, diced onion, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, molasses, light brown sugar, beef stock, apple cider vinegar, seasoned salt and cumin.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A 4 quart or large slow cooker, Dutch oven or large deep pot, small bowl, whisk, stand blender or food processor, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and chopping board and slotted spoon.
- To puree the ingredients in the sauce, it's best to use a stand blender or a food processor. This ensures the sauce ingredients fully combine.
- When reheating, you may want to add beef stock to the sauce to thin, Likewise, if you want to thicken the sauce you could add tomato paste one tablespoon at a time and repeat to your taste.
- Store cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently covered with heavy duty aluminum foil in a 350°F oven just until heated through. You could also reheat gently in single servings in the microwave or over medium heat in a skillet.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes to Make
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew is the perfect meal on a chilly day.
- Enjoy this Dr Pepper Glazed Barbecue Beef piled high on warm buns with cole slaw.
- Cook the beef for Slow Cooked French Dips low and slow until it's fall part tender.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage for St Patrick's Day.
- Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak simmers in a rich and flavorful gravy.
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash from The Magical Slow Cooker.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
- Onion/Vegetable Chopper
- Serving Set
- Insulated Slow Cooker Travel Case and Carrier
Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 4 lb beef short ribs trimmed of visible fat [12 pieces]
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 10 oz can Rotel tomato Chili Fixin's
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 chipotle pepper plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoon Worcestershire or soy sauce
- ¼ cup beef stock or beef broth
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- In a small bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, seasoned salt, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika and onion powder.
- Dust the short ribs on all sides with the seasoned flour.
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat a few drizzles of olive oil. Brown the ribs in batches over m medium-high heat on all sides until golden.
- Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer the ribs in the slow cooker.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a stand blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. Drizzle over the ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until fork tender.
- When done, use a slotted spoon to carefully remove the ribs from the sauce.
- Skim the fat from the sauce, or chill and allow the fat to congeal on the top, then remove.
- Serve the ribs drizzled with sauce over grits, mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.
- Optional: To char the ribs. place onto a baking sheet and brush with sauce. Broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes, if desired.
This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing over on Whatcha Crockin' Wednesday!
What is the difference between smoked and sweet paprika
In a nutshell the process involved and the peppers used. Hungarian paprika has a different flavor from plain paprika.
Please supply non American equivalent of ingredients
There are many online converters available to adapt to metric.
Didi, they were amazingly delicious! You'll love them. It's so wonderful to hear from you sweet friend. Lots of love and hugs to all. ♥
Can I just say my gorgeous sissy, that I fell in love w/ your love of the braised ribs and grits!! ♥ On my to do list!! I know the family will love this!!