Easy Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
How to Make the Best Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make slow cooked spaghetti sauce: Lean ground beef, Italian sausage, diced onion, minced garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, jarred marinara sauce, Italian seasoned tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste, cooked spaghetti for serving and chopped Italian parsley for garnishing. Grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top, if desired.
- You can make this recipe for slow cooked spaghetti sauce using different kinds of meat. For example, you could use all ground beef or all Italian sausage. You can also use ground turkey or chicken in the same amount.
- What does brown sugar do? While I know it may seem unusual, don't shy away from the brown sugar. It neutralizes the acidic taste of the tomatoes and lends a richness to the sauce that makes it so delicious. You can omit it, if that's your preference.
- Another flavor addition you can make it to toss in ¾ cup of pepperoni minis 1-2 hours before the sauce is finished cooking. Kids always love a surprise ingredient.
- This recipe can be easily doubled depending on the amount you need. I find it helpful to make large batches specifically for freezing for later meals.
- To freeze, cool completely then place into a freezer safe Ziploc bag or container. If using a bag, flatten to make it easier to store. Divide into desired size portions depending on your family size, and it's ready for a supper in a snap.
- Store leftover spaghetti sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Reheat spaghetti sauce in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes to Try
Slow cooking is forever a go-to technique in my kitchen even though Instant Pots have become super popular for fast pressure cooking. Checkout these recipes you may enjoy trying:
- My recipe for Slow Cooker Three Meat Lasagna is assembled just like a classic oven baked lasagna but cooked in your slow cooker so you can run errands or attend to other tasks.
- Slow Cooked Italian Beef Hoagies makes for a fun option on game days and for casual meals.
- Slow Cooked Smothered Swiss Steak is a fan favorite featuring a flavorful tomato sauce and tender cube steak.
- You might also enjoy this recipe for homestyle Crockpot Meatloaf recipe from The Chunky Chef.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 ½ lb extra lean ground beef
- 8 oz sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion finely diced
- olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½-1 tablespoon coarse sea salt [more or less to your taste]
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 24 oz jar marinara sauce [i.e.Bertolli Five Cheese]
- 2 8 oz cans basil garlic & oregano tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can basil garlic & oregano diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can basil garlic & oregano tomato paste
- 3-4 tablespoon brown sugar adjust to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 16 oz packages thin spaghetti cooked to al dente (adjust amount based on servings needed)
- On the stove top in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, brown ground beef, Italian sausage and diced onion in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Cook until no pink remains..
- Drain any excess fat from the pan, then add minced garlic, dried Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sea salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, pour all of the remaining ingredients: marinara sauce, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, and brown sugar into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add cooked ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and seasonings to the slow cooker and give it a good stir to blend the ingredients together.
- Place the lid firmly on top, and set the slow cooker on low. Cook for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving mix in ¼ cup of chopped fresh basil. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Serve over hot spaghetti.