Steak Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce: To me a steak gyro is sort of a Greek fajita featuring the flavors of the Mediterranean. For these gyro’s, the steak is marinated, served on a warm pita, then drizzled with a cool cucumber-dill yogurt sauce.
Steak Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
Servings: 6 Gyros 1 1/2 cup Tzatziki sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lb thin cut sirloin tip steak
- 6 [7 inch] pocket-less pitas
- 1/2 cup black olives sliced
- 4-6 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced mint leaves
- Tzatziki sauce:
- 1 medium cucumber peeled seeds removed and diced
- 1 [5.3 oz] container plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dried dill [or more to taste]
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- black pepper to taste
- Marinade: Place the steak into a one gallon size plastic storage bag. Mix the marinade and pour over the steaks, then place into the fridge. Marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Gyros: To prepare the gyros, remove the steaks from the marinade shaking off any excess. Discard the marinade.
- Grill the marinated steaks on a gas grill or on a stove top grill pan on medium high heat for 1 1/2-2 minutes per side, then remove to a cutting board.
- Allow the steak to rest covered for a couple of minutes, while you warm the pitas.
- Brush or spray the pitas with olive oil and warm on the grill.
- To assemble: Cut the steak into thin strips across the grain.
- Layer the steak strips, grape tomatoes, onion slices , black olives, feta and drizzle tzatziki sauce on top.
- Garnish with mint. Serve hot.
- Sauce: To prepare the Tzatziki sauce, peel and remove the seeds from the cucumber, then chop. Mix all of the ingredients together until blended, then place into an airtight container. Store in the fridge to allow the sauce to chill and the flavors to come together.
- Chill for several hours until serving.
This recipe works just as beautifully with boneless skinless chicken breasts. Worried the kids won't like it? Not to worry, simply put some delicious gooey cheese between two pitas, butter both sides and grill. A Greek grilled cheese, it doesn't get much better than that!