Sweet Pea Salad is a classic side dish that both simple and delicious. The easy to find ingredients begin with frozen petite peas embellished with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion and a homemade dressing chock-full with pizzazz. The incredible flavor combination keeps it on the regular side dish rotation in my kitchen.
Should you Use Frozen or Canned Peas for Sweet Pea Salad?
If you've ever seen recipes for classic pea salads they often use canned peas. Although I am a huge fan of pea salad, I prefer the taste and texture of frozen petite or baby peas, instead of the canned variety when I prepare this classic side salad. Super easy to make this pea salad can literally be whipped-up in very little time with very little effort. I think it gets even tastier the longer it sits and the flavors have an opportunity to really combine. If you're a cheese and bacon fan you c adjust the amounts to suit your personal taste.
Other Ways to Add Peas to the Menu
Peas can sometimes be under used when it comes to side dishes. I firmly believe it's because of the texture of canned peas. I totally get it, they do tend to be a bit mushy in texture. That said, peas make a delicious addition to your side dishes and I wanted to give you some ideas about how to use them. Are you a fan of updated pea recipes?
- I always adds a layer of peas for color and texture in my Seven Layer Salad.
- A different kind of pea but I could make a meal out of this Chopped Chickpea Salad.
- Try these decadent Easy Creamed Peas from Julie's Eats and Treats.
- Addictive Potato and Pea Fritters from Syrup and Biscuits.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sweet Pea Salad
- 1 24 oz package frozen petite or baby peas
- 1 ½ cup real mayonnaise or Miracle Whip dressing
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar, adjust to taste omit if using Miracle Whip
- 2 teaspoon Mrs Dash Original Blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- table salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 4 oz diced pimentos drained reserve 1 tablespoon juice
- 5 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- 2 large eggs boiled, peeled & chopped
- To thaw the peas, place into a colander and run under hot water for around 1 minutes. Drain well. (Alternately thaw in microwave)
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, Mrs Dash, garlic powder, onion powder and celery salt.
- Adjust the table salt and black pepper to your taste. Add the pimentos plus 1 tablespoon of reserved juice. Mix well.
- Add the blanched peas and the remaining ingredients. Reserve a few bacon crumbles, shredded cheese and sliced onions for garnishing.
- Use a large spatula to gently fold together until the ingredients have combined.
- Chill for at least 2 hours prior to serving.