Sea Salted Praline Pecan Clusters [Microwave]
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 7 minutes
Cooling Time 30 minutes
Total Time 11 minutes
Servings 12 jumbo/16 medium/20 small praline clusters
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt plus additional for tops
- 1 tsp pure vanilla or rum extract
Instructions for 1000 Watt Microwave.
Place all of the ingredients into a deep microwave safe bowl, reserving the vanilla until the end of cooking. The bowl should be deep enough to allow the mixture to boil, without boiling over.
Cook in the microwave on high for 6 1/2 minutes, stopping to stir halfway through. The mixture will boil, so handle with care to avoid burning.
After 6 1/2 minutes, stop and stir coating all of the pecans. The caramel should be thickened and beginning to form along the sides of the bowl. If the caramel is still runny, it needs to cook a bit longer. Microwave in additional 1 minute increments, if needed.
Allow to cool on the counter for 15 seconds then mix in vanilla.
Use a teaspoon, tablespoon or small cookie scoop to drop in clusters onto buttered wax paper or a silicone baking mat.
Immediately sprinkle the tops with sea salt, if desired. Allow to cool and set.
- This recipe is based on a 1000 Watt microwave. If your microwave has a lower wattage it may take longer to cook. Likewise, if the microwave has a higher wattage, it may need less time.
- Another technique to test the caramel: Drop a small amount into a glass of cold water. If it becomes firm and you can roll it into a ball between 2 fingers, it's ready.