Maple-Chipotle Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
Servings 6 servings
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Seasoned salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 medium chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced
- 1-2 tsp adobo sauce [more or less to taste]
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups prepared barbecue sauce [i.e Sweet Baby Ray's]
- ⅓ cup chicken stock or water
- 4-5 cups Rotisserie chicken shredded
- 6 Toasted onion rolls or kaiser rolls for serving
In a medium sauce pan, sauté diced onion in 1 Tbsp of butter. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, then add two minced cloves of garlic. Saute for 1 minute longer.
Add the chipotle pepper, 1-2 tsp adobo sauce, maple syrup, 1 ½ cups prepared barbecue sauce.Thin the sauce with up to ⅓ cup of chicken stock or water.
Simmer for 10 minutes stirring periodically. [Tip: For a smooth sauce puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor prior to adding the chicken.]
Use 2 forks to pull apart the chicken. Add to the simmering sauce.
Simmer for 5 minutes just until heated through,
Serve immediately on onion rolls or kaiser rolls with a side of slaw
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 156mg | Sodium: 1478mg | Potassium: 208mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 346IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg