Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Servings 12 servings
- 5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes 1 inch cubes peel on or off, your preference
- 1 ½ cups water or chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt divided
- 1 cup half and half warmed
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup salted butter cubed
- 4 ounces chive and onion cream cheese softened
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- butter and chopped fresh chives for garnishing
Arrange potatoes in the bowl of Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of cold water or chicken broth. Season with garlic and 1 teaspoon salt.
Cover and set the lid to "sealing.” Pressure cook on HIGH heat for 10 minutes, following with quick release.
After pressure has released, carefully remove the lid. (Test potatoes, they should be fork tender.) Drain cooking liquid, reserving in case it's needed to smooth texture at the end of cooking.
Immediately add half and half, sour cream, butter, cream cheese and ½ tsp salt. Use a potato masher to process until desired consistency is reached. You can add additional cooking liquid, if needed to smooth. Taste and adjust adding more salt to taste.
Garnish with butter, black pepper and fresh chives. Keep warm until serving.
- Place cubed potatoes in a large deep pot and cover completely with water. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium-high cooking for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes well. Add remaining ingredients and mash using a potato masher or whip with an electric mixer. (You may opt to omit fresh garlic and use ½ teaspoon granulated garlic, instead.)
- Dot with butter, garnish with pepper and chives and serve.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 525mg | Potassium: 848mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 433IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg