Grilled Polynesian Chicken Salad
Servings 6 servings
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 pieces)
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup teriyaki sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp each salt and black pepper OR to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 3 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- Salad Fixins:
- 12 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 large English cucumber julienned
- 1 large carrot peeled and julienned
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 8 oz crumbled gorgonzola or bleu cheese
To make marinade: Whisk the marinade ingredients together and pour over the chicken. Place into the refrigerator to chill and marinate overnight.
To prepare the chicken: Preheat the grill to medium-high and oil the grates. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and discard marinade. Grill chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces. Grill until the juices run clear. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
To make the vinaigrette: Whisk together the pineapple juice, white balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and red pepper flakes. Slowly drizzle the oil into the mixture, whisking vigorously while you pour. The vinaigrette should slightly thicken. Chill until serving. Shake well before serving.
To assemble the salads: arrange salad greens on a plate or platter. Dress with julienned cucumber and carrot. Add thinly sliced strips of red onion and red bell pepper. Top with fresh pineapple chunks and a sprinkle of bleu cheese. Slice the chicken and arrange on top. Serve drizzled with the pineapple vinaigrette.
- Don't be intimidated by the ingredient list. The marinade and vinaigrette are both homemade. Should you prefer, you can take shortcuts for both depending on available prep time.
- There's plenty of room to personalize the ingredients for the salad fixins' to suit your taste.
- Marinating the chicken overnight, will give the flavors time to permeate the chicken breasts.
- If you prefer to take a shortcut utilizing a prepared bottled marinade, choose one that includes pineapple to complement the fresh pineapple and vinaigrette.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 730kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 125mg | Sodium: 1748mg | Potassium: 1222mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 4296IU | Vitamin C: 71mg | Calcium: 272mg | Iron: 3mg