These simple to make Cheesy Cheddar Grits can be enjoyed at any meal. Serve them as a side dish or topped with shrimp, chicken, eggs and bacon and beyond.
Cheesy Cheddar Grits Recipe
Helpful Tips for Making Cheese Grits
- Quick cooking grits are a terrific choice for busy mornings or weeknight dinners. They're quite flavorful but, they do need to be cooked longer than the package directions for optimal creaminess. They're a blank canvas for a variety of seasonings and toppings.
- It's important to salt the grits in the beginning or you'll practically never get them to the level of flavor you want.
- How can you serve cheddar cheese grits? Grits can be served simply with a pat of butter topped with scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, or in this case punching up the flavor by adding lots of sharp cheddar cheese. These cheesy cheddar grits are always a pleasing addition to the table.
Other Grits Recipes to Try
As I mentioned prior, when it comes to grits the sky's the limit. Rest assured they can be eaten at any meal throughout the day.
- Smoked Sausages and Cheese Grits are a fabulous entrée.
- Shrimp and Cheddar Grits began as a breakfast dish that spans the whole gamut for variations and serving options.
- Southern Grits and Greens Casserole which can also be served at any meal.
- Polenta Recipe with Creamy Mushrooms from Two Peas and Their Pod
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Cheddar Grits
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup quick cooking grits [not instant]
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream or half & half
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus additional for garnishing
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, gently bring the milk and salt to a boil. stirring constantly. Whisk the grits into the milk in a steady stream.
- Continue to whisk for 1-2 minutes until fully incorporated. Immediately lower the heat to low and cover.
- Allow the grits to gently bubble on low heat for 15 minutes stirring periodically to prevent sticking.
- Uncover and check the consistency at 15 minutes. Add more milk or water to thin, if needed. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. The grits should be thickened and creamy the consistency of porridge.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and ½ cup cream or half & half at the end of cooking. Stir until the butter has completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and mix-in the shredded cheddar cheese, stir until melted.
- Serve immediately with additional shredded cheese on top, if desired.