Homestyle Green Beans and Red Potatoes are a Bite of Nostalgia
Tips For Making Fresh Green Beans
To make these lip smacking homestyle green beans, my preference is to season them with bacon drippings, and garlic salt. You can even add 3-4 cloves of fresh minced garlic, if you prefer, in addition to the garlic salt. Other variations of seasonings you can use is your favorite seasoned salt blend, a celery salt or good ole traditional table salt. Simple garden goodness, amazing flavors. Other ways to enjoy fresh green beans you may like to try are these Pickled Green Beans or Mediterranean inspired Italian Green Beans.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homestyle Green Beans And Red Potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 tsp garlic salt divided [or to your taste]
- 1/2 tsp black pepper divided
- 3 lb fresh green beans cut/whole, ends removed
- 2 1/2 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
- 8-10 small red potatoes halved
- 3 Tbsp butter cubed
- In a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and crumble. Add the diced onion to the drippings.
- Cook over medium-high heat just until the onion begins to soften, around 2-3 minutes. If using garlic, add and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the green beans and 2 1/2 cups of water/chicken broth to the pot. Season with 2 tsp of garlic salt [or to taste] and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Stir well.
- Cover, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, uncover and arrange the halved potatoes over the green beans. Sprinkle the tops with 1/2 tsp garlic salt [or to taste] and a few turns of black pepper. Dot with cubed butter.
- Cover and continue to cook over medium-low heat for another 50-60 minutes until the potatoes and green beans are fork tender.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle on top just before serving.