This cheesy Baked Squash Parmesan can be served as a meatless main dish or as a side dish with your favorite entrees. In it, fresh yellow squash takes the place of lasagna noodles and is layered with marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. For the finish, it's topped with buttery panko breadcrumbs that bake crispy and golden transforming it into a delicious vegetable lasagna.
Easy Baked Squash Parmesan Recipe
How to Make the BEST Baked Squash Parmesan Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Baked Squash Parmesan: Large yellow squash, marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, grated parmesan cheese, Mediterranean seasoning (i.e. McCormick) or dried Italian seasoning, garlic salt, black pepper, panko breadcrumbs, melted butter and parsley.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: Sheet pans, 2 quart baking dish, small bowl, medium bowl, sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons.
- It's important to roast the squash prior to assembling to allow it to release some of the juices. You can do this one day in advance, then chill until you're ready to assemble the Squash Parmesan.
- You could add zucchini to the mix or make this recipe using all zucchini.
- The marinara sauce is store bought for this recipe. Use a brand that you already enjoy and you have the chance to expand the flavor profile depending on the kind used.
- This recipe easily doubles if you need a larger batch.
- Allow a few minutes of stand time at the end of baking to allow the layers to set.
- You may opt to use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs or fresh breadcrumbs for the topping. If using pre-seasoned crumbs, adjust the amounts called for in the recipe to suit your taste.
- You could add crushed red pepper flakes to add a level of spiciness to the squash, if desired.
- Store Baked Squash Parmesan chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in an air fryer or in a 375°F just until the topping is crisp.
More Easy Squash Recipes to Make
- Crispy Squash Fritters are a lot like hush puppies.
- Italian Stuffed Summer Squash can be enjoyed as an entree or a side dish.
- Old fashioned Squash Croquettes are a family favorite.
- Roasted Butternut Squash is a fall favorite drizzled with a honey sage sauce.
- Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash has such a pretty presentation!
- Southern Style Fried Squash.
- You may also like this Pickled Squash from a Farmgirl Dabbles.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Baked Squash Parmesan
- 4-6 large yellow squash sliced ¼ inch thick [approximately 4 lb]
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ½ teaspoon Mediterranean Herb seasoning (i.e. Mccormick) OR dried Italian seasoning divided use
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese divided
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spritz 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, drizzle the sliced squash with 2 tablespoon olive oil and season with 2 teaspoon Mediterranean Herb seasoning, salt and black pepper. (Adjust using more or less seasoning, to your taste.)
- Stir until the pieces are evenly coated. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the sheet pans.
- Roast for 17-20 minutes, until fork tender then set aside to cool. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Spritz a 2 quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- To assemble: Arrange the roasted squash in a single layer on the bottom of the dish. Drizzle with ⅓ of marinara sauce, ⅓ of the shredded mozzarella cheese, and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese. [Use a thick marinara sauce for the best results]
- Repeat until all of the ingredients are used ending with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- To make the panko breadcrumb topping: Toss ½ cup panko breadcrumbs with ½ teaspoon of Mediterranean or Italian seasoning, 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil and 3 tablespoon melted butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle on top of squash.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes until the edge is bubbly and the crumb topping is golden.
- Rest for 10 minutes then cut and serve.