This cheesy Baked Squash Parmesan can be served as a meatless main dish or as a side dish with your favorite entrees. Fresh yellow squash takes the place of lasagna noodles and is layered with rich marinara sauce and cheese. Topped with buttery crumbs that bake crisp and golden, it transforms into a delicious vegetable lasagna.
Baked Squash Parmesan
Other Ways To Add Summer Squash to the Menu
Garden season is my favorite, I think. Enjoying fresh produce be it from the farmstand, friends, neighbors or my own backyard, you just can't beat fresh from the vine to the table ingredients. I adore squash in all forms as well as zucchini and they can usually be interchanged in recipes with no issues at all. Recipes such as my Squash Fritters, Italian Stuffed Summer Squash and Squash Croquettes are some of our favorites. You may also like this Pickled Squash from a Farmgirl Dabbles,
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Baked Squash Parmesan
- 4 large squash sliced ¼ inch thick [approximately 4 lb]
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ tsp Mediterranean Herb seasoning OR Italian seasoning divided
- garlic salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese divided
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spritz 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, drizzle the sliced squash with 2 Tbsp olive oil and season with 2 tsp Mediterranean Herb seasoning, salt and black pepper to your taste. Use more or less seasoning if desired adjusting to your taste.
- Stir until the pieces are evenly coated. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the pans.
- Roast for 17-20 minutes, until fork tender then set aside to cool. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Spritz a 3 quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- To assemble, arrange the roasted squash in a single layer on the bottom of the dish. Drizzle with ⅓ of marinara sauce, ⅓ of the shredded mozzarella cheese, and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese. [Use a thick marinara sauce for the best results]
- Repeat until all of the ingredients are used ending with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- To make the crumb topping: Toss ½ cup panko breadcrumbs with ½ tsp of Mediterranean or Italian seasoning, 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil and 3 Tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes until the edge is bubbly and the crumb topping is golden.
- Rest for 10 minutes then serve.