This flavorful Roasted Butternut Squash with a divine sage honey butter sauce will make a fabulous addition to your fall side dish menu. Filled with the warm flavors of sage and honey it's certain to complement a myriad of entrees.
Roasted Butternut Squash
Roasted vegetables like this butternut squash have an undeniable sweetness about them. The roasting process brings out the natural sugar and they caramelize ever so beautifully around the edges. Normally, I'm quite happy with them in that state alone. This recipe takes the taste of roasted butternut squash up a couple of levels with a decadent sage honey-butter sauce. It's one of those "company worthy" side dishes that I have tucked away in my recipe file for special guests.
Take Advantage of Cubed Butternut Squash
Even though butternut squash has a soft and buttery texture when cooked, it can be a challenge to peel. If you're fortunate enough to have cubed squash available in your Produce department, this is a great opportunity to take advantage of that product and half the prep is done.
- While I do feel the roasting needs to be done just before serving, you can certainly have all of the ingredients ready to expedite assembling.
- To save time, the sage honey butter sauce can be prepared the day before then reheated.
- If you choose to make this dish in one fell swoop, cook the sage honey-butter while the squash roasts, and drizzle over the top just before serving.
Other Squash Recipes to Try
There are so many opportunities to enjoy squash in many forms due to the many varieties and seasons. Warm weather calls for squash croquettes and simple roasted summer squash roasted with peppers and onion. Italian sausage stuffed squash can double as a side dish or an entrée. In keeping with this recipe using butternut squash, you may also like to try this butternut squash soup from Fifteen Spatulas.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage Honey Butter Sauce
- 3-4 lb cubed butternut squash cut into bite size cubes [around 8 cups]
- ¼ cup olive oil
- sea/kosher salt
- black pepper
- Sage Honey-Butter Sauce:
- ½ cup salted butter
- 6 small fresh sage leaves chiffonade
- ½ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp grated orange zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray a baking sheet liberally with cooking spray.
- Toss the cubed butternut squash with the olive oil then arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea/kosher salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450°F. Stir, then continue to roast for another 15-20 minutes until golden.
- To make the sauce: in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat until dark amber in color. The sauce should be reduced and thickened to the consistency of syrup. Around 20 minutes. Keep warm until serving.
- To serve, drizzle the roasted squash with the sage honey-butter sauce, and garnish with additional sage and freshly grated orange zest.