This gorgeous BLT Layered Pasta Salad features layers of penne pasta, lettuce, bacon, green onions and juicy tomatoes all drizzled with a homemade dressing. This dish takes BLT’s and pasta salad to a whole new level.
BLT Layered Pasta Salad
Those who have browsed the MSSK recipe file can clearly tell I adore trifles of all kinds, both sweet and savory. Whether it my seven layer salad or kicked-up Southwestern cheese tortellini salad they’re a spectacular edible centerpiece. That’s how I would describe this stunning BLT layered pasta salad. When I share a salad like this one, it quickly becomes a fan favorite. It takes all of the familiar flavors we love and presents them in a different way.
Helpful Tips for Making Layered Salads
When making this BLT penne pasta layer salad, make sure you checkout my tips in the Cook’s notes for a shortcut, when you’re in a hurry.
- Serve this dish in a large trifle or glass bowl to show off the lovely colors of the ingredients. It’s a feast for the eyes and the senses.
- Due to the fact the penne is dressed separately from the lettuce, it can be made the night before an event if needed, and shouldn’t become soggy.
- It’s also a great idea to make extra dressing to serve on the side at the time of serving. This will allow those who prefer more dressing to add it to their taste.
Two other salads you may enjoy that are super popular with my visitors are my Layered Southwestern Cornbread Salad and Chicken Bacon Ranch Layer Salad. You may also enjoy my Parade article featuring 15 Crazy Good Pasta Salad recipes.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
BLT Layered Pasta Salad
- 2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped chives
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta cooked to al dente
- 7 cups chopped green leaf lettuce divided
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes halved reserve some for garnishing
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 1/2 lb thick cut bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 6 oz package Texas size garlic herb croutons
- Several hours or up to one day in advance, whisk together ingredients for dressing in a medium size mixing bowl, cover and chill. (Mayonnaise, buttermilk, chives, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, lemon pepper and black pepper.)
- To prepare salad: Cook the pasta in salted water per package directions until al dente. Drain well. Toss with 1/2 of the prepared dressing, set aside to cool slightly while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- To assemble, begin with 2 cups lettuce, 1/3 dressed penne pasta, 1/3 tomatoes, 1/3 green onion,1/3 bacon and 1/3 of the remaining dressing.
- Repeat this process until all ingredients have been used. (Reserve 1 cup of lettuce, 2 Tbsp each of green onion and bacon to sprinkle on top)
- Chill overnight or until serving. Top with homemade croutons just before serving. Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes, if desired.
- You may make extra dressing to serve on the side, to allow your guests to drizzle more on top to their taste, when serving.
- You may dress this salad with the same amount of bottled buttermilk ranch dressing, if desired.