This gorgeous BLT Layered Pasta Salad features layers of penne pasta, lettuce, bacon, green onions and juicy tomatoes all drizzled with a homemade dressing. This dish combines BLT's and pasta salad taking those same flavors to a whole new level.
Easy BLT Layered Pasta Salad Recipe
Those who have browsed the MSSK recipe file can clearly tell I adore trifles of all kinds, both sweet and savory. Whether it my Seven Layer Salad or kicked-up Southwestern Cheese Tortellini Salad they're a spectacular edible centerpiece. That's how I would describe this stunning BLT layered pasta salad. When I share a salad like this one, it quickly becomes a fan favorite. It takes all of the familiar flavors we love and presents them in a different way.
How to Make the Best BLT Layered Pasta Salad Recipe
When making this BLT penne pasta layer salad, make sure you check out my tips in the Cook's notes for a shortcut salad dressing idea for those moments that you're in a hurry.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade BLT Layered Pasta Salad: Penne pasta, green leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, green onions, crumbled bacon and Texas toast croutons.
- For the BLT Layered Pasta Salad dressing you'll need: Mayonnaise, buttermilk, fresh chives, apple cider vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, lemon pepper and black pepper. Place all of the dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined. Chill until you're ready to assemble the salad.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A pasta pot to cook the penne pasta plus a colander, a sharp knife and chopping board, mixing bowls, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons and a large salad or trifle bowl.
- It's ideal to assemble and serve this layered salad in a large trifle or glass bowl to show off the colorful ingredients. It's a feast for the eyes and the senses.
- Due to the fact the penne is dressed separately from the lettuce, it can be made the night before, if needed.
- It's also a great idea to make extra dressing to serve on the side at the time of serving. This will allow those who prefer more dressing to add it to their taste.
- It's perfectly fine to fully assemble this recipe one day in advance and allow it to chill in the refrigerator. Top with the croutons just before serving so they'll maintain their crunch.
- Store leftover pasta salad for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
More Southern Style Salad Recipes to Make
Salads are a daily occurrence at our house in some form. Whether it's a pasta, potato, fruit or mixed green salad they go with most any meal. More salad recipes you may also like to try:
- My Layered Southwestern Cornbread Salad is a fan favorite.
- 5 Bean Salad is dressed with a sweet and tangy vinegar based dressing.
- Chicken Pasta Salad makes a light meal on a busy day.
- Cherry Tomato Onion Cucumber Salad is a must-make during garden season.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Layer Salad is another salad that can be served as a side dish or an entrée with a side of garlic bread.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Greek Salad Mini Cups from Tater Tots and Jello.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
BLT Layered Pasta Salad
- 2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta cooked to al dente
- 7 cups chopped green leaf lettuce divided
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes halved reserve some for garnishing
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 ½ lb thick cut bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 6 oz package Texas size garlic herb croutons
- Several hours or up to one day in advance, whisk together ingredients for dressing in a medium size mixing bowl, cover and chill. (Mayonnaise, buttermilk, chives, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, lemon pepper and black pepper.)
- To prepare salad: Cook the pasta in salted water per package directions until al dente. Drain well. Toss with ½ of the prepared dressing, set aside to cool slightly while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- To assemble, begin with 2 cups lettuce, ⅓ dressed penne pasta, ⅓ tomatoes, ⅓ green onion,⅓ bacon and ⅓ of the remaining dressing.
- Repeat this process until all ingredients have been used. (Reserve 1 cup of lettuce, 2 tablespoon each of green onion and bacon to sprinkle on top)
- Chill overnight or until serving. Top with homemade croutons just before serving. Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes, if desired.
- You may make extra dressing to serve on the side, to allow your guests to drizzle more on top to their taste, when serving.
- You may dress this salad with the same amount of bottled buttermilk ranch dressing, if desired.