This fresh Broccoli Salad is such a simple side dish to make year-round. Crisp fresh broccoli is combined with onion, bacon crumbles toasted pecans and shredded cheddar cheese then dressed with a creamy homemade dressing. It's so popular, that here in my neck of the woods that it's available prepared in every grocery store deli case. Add it to your side dish menu ASAP, you'll be so glad you did.
Broccoli Salad Recipe
Refrigerator salads have always been a favorite of mine. I love that they can be prepared in advance and kept chilled for a quick side dish to go with an entrée. I've taken a bit of liberty with this salad, as classic broccoli salad would usually include raisins and some sort of nuts or toasted sesame seeds. Since I cook according to my family's taste, it gives me full creative control to adjust to our taste. Variety is the spice of life, right?
Other Salad Ingredient Variations to Try
Cook's often remake salad recipes to include the little ingredient twists that they know their family will enjoy.
- I've seen broccoli salad with sliced grape tomatoes which is a fantastic Summer version when fresh produce is in abundance.
- My version of broccoli salad includes toasted pecans and dried cranberries, although each can be switched out with alternatives, if you prefer.
- Alternatives would be raisins, either golden or red raisins, in place of cranberries which is often found in this kind of salad.
- Nuts such as almonds or walnuts could be used.
- You can also use a different flavor of cheese, if that's your pleasure.
- It's one of those salads that comes together with ease, and the sweet and tangy dressing adds just the right touch.
- Another delicious refrigerator salad you may like is this Easy Bacon Broccoli Pasta Salad from Foodie with family.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 cup fresh broccoli florets stems trimmed and florets separated
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- ½ cup dried cranberries or golden raisins [optional]
- ½ cup toasted pecan or walnut pieces [or ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds]
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 oz pimentos drained
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp Original Mrs Dash
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Clean the broccoli and separate the florets, removing most of the stem.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients then gently toss with the broccoli, bacon, diced red onion, cranberries, pecan pieces and shredded cheese.
- Reserve a few bacon crumbles and toasted nuts for garnishing.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
To toast the nuts: Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast at 350°F for 6-8 minutes until lightly golden and fragrant.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 436kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 17g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 683mg | Potassium: 269mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 640IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 139mg | Iron: 1mg