Broccoli Salad – This fresh broccoli salad is such a simple side dish to make year-round. It’s so popular, that here in my neck of the woods it’s available prepared in every grocery store deli case. Classic broccoli salad would usually include raisins and some sort of nuts or toasted sesame seeds. The cook whose preparing it has full creative control to decide if that suits their particular taste.
I’ve also seen broccoli salad with sliced grape tomatoes which is a fantastic Summer version when fresh produce is in abundance. My personal variation on broccoli salad includes toasted pecans and dried cranberries, although each can be left out if you prefer. It’s one of those salads that comes together with ease, and the sweet and tangy dressing adds just the right touch.
- 4 cup fresh broccoli florets stems trimmed and florets separated
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins [optional]
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan or walnut pieces [or 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds]
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 oz pimentos drained
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Original Mrs Dash
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Clean the broccoli and separate the florets, removing most of the stem.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients then gently toss with the broccoli, bacon, diced red onion, cranberries, pecan pieces and shredded cheese.
- Reserve a few bacon crumbles and toasted nuts for garnishing.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.