This Homestyle Macaroni Salad is how I grew-up eating pasta salad. Jumbo macaroni shells cooked to al dente are then mixed with tangy red onion, Roma tomatoes, cucumber, green bell pepper and shredded cheese all smothered with a homemade buttermilk dressing. It’s a picnic perfect side dish that always satisfies.
Homestyle Macaroni Salad is a Taste of Nostalgia
This Salad is Packed with Vegetables
My Mom always included a good amount of vegetables in her macaroni salad, no doubt, taking the opportunity to get us kids to enjoy it more.I totally understand that, now as a mother myself. The ingredients in this salad are what she would include in her homestyle macaroni salad with one exception. I include green bell pepper, which would definitely invoke a protest from my Dad who has an intense aversion to the flavor. None-the-less I really love them and I always add peppers. Macaroni salad is one of those side dishes that will round-out most any main dish entree and will always be a backyard barbecue family favorite.
You’ll find other tasty ways to use macaroni in this collection of 16 Sensational Ways to Make Macaroni and Cheese and Italian inspired Macaroni Salad with Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homestyle Macaroni Salad
- 16 oz elbow macaroni jumbo or regular
- 2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced and seeded
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the pasta in salted water per the package directions until al dente. Drain well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, vinegar, onion and garlic powder, celery salt and black pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients, reserving the shredded cheese. Mix well. Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- Chill thoroughly add the shredded cheese after the salad has cooled.
- Chill for at least 4 hours and stir well, before serving.