This version of macaroni salad is truly homespun. By that I mean, this Homestyle Macaroni Salad is how I grew-up eating pasta salad. Jumbo macaroni shells cooked to al dente arthen mixed with tangy red onion, Roma tomatoes, cucumber, green bell pepper and shredded cheese all smothered with a homemade buttermilk dressing. It’s picnic perfect.
My Mom always included a good amount of vegetables in her macaroni salad, no doubt, taking the opportunity to get us kids to enjoy it more.I totally understand that, now as a Mother myself. The ingredients in this salad are what she would include in her homestyle macaroni salad with one exception. I include green bell pepper, which would definitely invoke a protest from my Dad who has an intense aversion to the flavor. None-the-less I really love them and I always add peppers. Macaroni salad is one of those side dishes that will round-out most any main dish entree and will always be a backyard barbecue family favorite.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homestyle Macaroni Salad
- 16 oz elbow macaroni jumbo or regular
- 2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced and seeded
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the pasta in salted water per the package directions until al dente. Drain well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, vinegar, onion and garlic powder, celery salt and black pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients, reserving the shredded cheese. Mix well. Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- Chill thoroughly add the shredded cheese after the salad has cooled.
- Chill for at least 4 hours and stir well, before serving.