If the okra is tough, it’s just not fresh, it’s that simple. Dust the okra well with flour before dipping in buttermilk and then into the flour- cornmeal breading to achieve a crispy mouthwatering crunch.
Firecracker Fried Okra
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yellow self rising cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour plus 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 lb fresh okra ends removed & sliced
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tsp hot sauce [more or less to your taste]
- n a dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 4-5 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F.
- On a platter, sift together the yellow cornmeal, 1 cup of all purpose flour and seasonings.
- Dust the okra slices with 2 Tbsp all purpose flour and sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper. Stir the hot sauce into the buttermilk.
- Dip the okra in buttermilk then into the flour-cornmeal mixture. Shake off any excess flour before adding to the hot oil.
- Fry in batches until golden [about 4 minutes] then remove to paper towels or parchment paper to drain.
- Dust lightly with salt immediately after removing them from the hot oil.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
If you prefer a milder version, omit the cayenne and hot sauce.