Prepare to be hooked from your first bite of this Firecracker Fried Okra. Tender garden fresh sliced and dusted with flour then dipped in spicy buttermilk. Dredged in seasoned cornmeal-flour mixture they’re fried until crispy and golden. Serve with your favorite dipping or fry sauce and serve as an appetizer or a side dish.
Fried okra is a beloved classic Southern side dish. Even though oven frying is my usual “go to” for other dishes when it comes to okra, deep frying is the way to go. To avoid tough okra, make sure you choose the freshest farm stand pickings to ensure it will cook-up tender, golden and crispy. If the okra is tough it’s just not fresh, it’s that simple. Dust the okra well with flour before dipping in buttermilk and then into the cornmeal-flour breading to achieve a crispy mouthwatering crunch.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Firecracker Fried Okra
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yellow self rising cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour plus 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 lb fresh okra ends removed & sliced
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tsp hot sauce [more or less to your taste]
- n a dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 4-5 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F.
- On a platter, sift together the yellow cornmeal, 1 cup of all purpose flour and seasonings.
- Dust the okra slices with 2 Tbsp all purpose flour and sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper. Stir the hot sauce into the buttermilk.
- Dip the okra in buttermilk then into the flour-cornmeal mixture. Shake off any excess flour before adding to the hot oil.
- Fry in batches until golden [about 4 minutes] then remove to paper towels or parchment paper to drain.
- Dust lightly with salt immediately after removing them from the hot oil.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.