This flavorful Grilled Chicken Sandwich features a homemade marinade that gives it a pop of flavor. Enjoy it on a grilled bun topped with your favorite sandwich fixings.
Easy Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
How do you grill chicken? This recipe begins with a flavorful marinade. Once the chicken pieces have soaked in all of the flavor, remove them from the marinade allowing the excess to drop off. You can cook this chicken on a cast iron stovetop grill pan, on charcoal or a gas grill outside. Rule of thumb with chicken is to cook it until the juices run clear or a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 165°F. Allow the chicken some rest time to redistribute the juices, then load it up with your favorite sandwich fixings.
How to Make the Best Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Grilled Chicken Sandwich: Boneless skinless chicken, salt and black pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, light brown sugar, granulated garlic, onion powder and dry Italian seasoning.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: Shallow dish, whisk, medium bowl, grill pan or outdoor grill, tongs, meat mallet, meat thermometer, cutting board or solid surface for pounding the chicken, measuring cups and spoons.
- Light brown sugar won't make the chicken sweet. The purpose is to add a nice char to the exterior of the chicken breasts.
- How long do you grill chicken? The chicken is grilled for around 5 minutes per side. Adjust the cooking time depending on how thick the pieces are and how high the heat is that you're using. A thermometer is handy to have nearby so you don't overcook the chicken.
- Use the smooth side of a meat mallet to flatten the chicken into ½ inch thickness. Uniformity will allow the chicken to cook evenly and not dry out.
- Once you remove the chicken from the marinade, dispose of the marinade. Don't keep it or serve it on the side of the cooked chicken to avoid cross contamination.
- You can easily adjust the amount of chicken and marinade depending on the amount of servings that you need. I really love over making so I have the fixings for another meal. Cook once, eat twice.
- You can also add a slice of your favorite variety of cheese in the final 2 minutes of cooking so it will melt.
- Store Grilled Chicken for sandwiches chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Slice and serve on salads, make wraps or chop and mix into pasta for a round two meal.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- This Caribbean Chicken with a Honey Rum Glaze is delicious served with a side of rice pilaf.
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Kabobs are basted with a sweet pineapple glaze.
- These finger licking good Honey Barbecue Chicken Wings are made in an air fryer.
- Fill these Chicken Burrito Bowls with your favorite fiesta toppings.
- The kids will love this Popcorn Chicken.
- You'll flip for this Southern Fried Chicken recipe.
- Instant Pot Chicken from Crazy for Crust.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 4 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Toasted brioche or hamburger buns
- mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, red onion and pickles for serving
- Pound chicken breasts to an even ½ inch thickness using the smooth side of a meat mallet.
- In a medium bowl whisk together oil, lemon juice, honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, granulated garlic, Italian seasoning and onion powder.
- Place chicken into a shallow dish then pour marinade over the top, turing to coat. Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- To Grill on the Stovetop: Drizzle a grill pan with olive oil and heat to medium high heat.
- Remove chicken from marinade allowing excess to drip off. Season lightly on both sides with salt and black pepper. Place into grill pan cooking for 4-6 minutes per side or just until juices run clear and an internal temperature of 165°F is reached. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- To Grill on Gas Grill: If using a gas grill, oil grill grates and heat to medium high. Remove chicken from marinade allowing excess to drip off. Season lightly on both sides with salt and black pepper.Place chicken breasts on grill then reduce to medium cooking for 5-6 minutes per side or until no pink remains and juices run clear or an internal temperature of 165°F is reached. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve on toasted brioche buns or hamburger buns dressed with lettuce, tomato and onion or any of your favorite toppings.
Leave a Reply