How to Make the Best Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Chicken Kabobs Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Chicken Kabobs: Boneless skinless chicken, fresh pineapple chunks, green and red bell peppers and red onion. You’ll also need 6 bamboo skewers soaked in water or metal skewers.
- For the marinade you’ll need: Pineapple juice, olive oil, teriyaki sauce, chopped cilantro, minced garlic, minced ginger or ginger powder, minced shallots or red onion plus salt and black pepper to taste. This is the best chicken marinade and can be used for whole chicken pieces, too.
- For the simple glaze you’ll need: red pepper jelly thinned with pineapple juice.
- To assemble these sweet and spicy kabobs, you’ll thread chunks of fresh pineapple, crunchy bell peppers and onions and tender marinated chicken chunks onto skewers. They’re grilled on all sides for about 2 minutes per turn. Allow them stand time after grilling to rest for a tender result.
- This recipe works equally well with pork chunks in the same amount. The cooking time may need a slight adjustment but not a lot. As always, it depends on the size of the pork pieces.
- Either way, when brushed with an easy spicy pineapple glaze you’ve got a winning flavor combination.
- I like to serve these kabobs with a simple rice pilaf, and a steamed veggie or salad to round out our meal.
- Store leftover chicken kabobs in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, reheat gently in the microwave.
- For dessert, grilled pineapple kabobs and cookie bowls filled with macadamia nuts and white chocolate. Add a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream and top it all off with a glorious drizzle of caramel and it’s practically a staycation.
- You may also like this recipe for Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Kabobs from Barefeet in the Kitchen.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Sweet And Spicy Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
Servings: 6 kabobs
- 4 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 8 oz can pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced red onion/shallots
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 large green pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large red onion cut into quarters
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple cut into 1/2-3/4 inch chunks
- 6 bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water or metal skewers
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Glaze: (Slightly warmed)
- 1 10 oz jar red pepper jelly
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- To prepare the marinade: Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Pour into a large plastic storage bag. Add the chicken chinks and place into the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- To prepare the kabobs: Remove the chicken from the marinade. Thread onto skewers alternating the peppers, chicken, pineapple and onion chunks onto the skewers. Season everything lightly with salt and pepper.
- To grill: Oil grill grates and preheat grill to medium-high heat. Cook the kabobs rotating as needed so they will cook evenly. About 2-3 minutes on all sides. The kabobs should char, but, not burn.
- In the last 2 minutes of grilling, reduce the grill temperature to medium and begin to baste the kabobs with the spicy pineapple glaze until lightly charred
- Serve over rice pilaf.
- When cutting the chicken, make a special effort to cut the pieces into similar sizes so the pieces will cook evenly.
- It will take the kabobs around 12-16 minutes in total cooking time depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 521kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 716mg | Potassium: 235mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 72g | Vitamin A: 177IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg