This crisp and airy Honeycomb Recipe is a deliciously simple candy to make. The honey toffee-like flavor and spongy texture melts in your mouth. You can enjoy it with or without melted chocolate on top or straight from the pan broken into random pieces.
Easy Honeycomb Recipe
What is honeycomb candy? It's a light and airy candy that's made with honey and sugar and combined with baking soda. The baking soda creates a reaction that causes it to foam. It's one of those fun candies that has a plethora of names, sometimes called honeycomb toffee, seafoam, sponge toffee, hokey pokey and beyond. It has a sugary honey flavor with an airy texture that can be broken into random pieces or cut using a sharp knife into more uniform shapes. It naturally crumbles when cutting so random sizes should be expected.
How to Make the Best Honeycomb Candy Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Honeycomb Candy: Light corn syrup, honey, granulated sugar, water, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A 4 quart heavy bottomed saucepan, measuring cups and spoons, an 8 x 8 inch pan, parchment paper, a whisk, candy thermometer and a rubber spatula.
- Choose a heavy bottomed pot that's deep enough to contain the mixture when it foams up. When in doubt go a bit larger than smaller.
- When pouring the mixture into the prepared pan don't be tempted to press down and spread the mixture or it can deflate the bubbles. Try to pour it evenly into the pan, then gently shake the pan to spread.
- You can dip or drizzle this honeycomb recipe with melted chocolate. When doing so, the topping shouldn't be like a sauce but rather something that would be able to dry and is stable at room temperature.
- To clean the pan, fill with warm water and let sit. This should dissolve what's left behind. If it's still stubborn, place the pot onto the stovetop and bring to a boil. This will soften any drips left behind and clean-up will be a breeze.
- To make the optional chocolate topping : In a double boiler over simmering water melt 1 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips with 1 ½ teaspoons of solid vegetable shortening (or coconut oil) stirring until completely smooth. Once the honeycomb is completely cooled and set, gently spread the warm chocolate on top and let dry. Then remove from the pan using the parchment paper and use a sharp knife to cut or break into pieces.
- Store Honeycomb in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. It won't last that long!
- I don't recommend freezing or refrigerating honeycomb candy.
More Easy Candy Recipes to Make
Candy isn't just limited to the holiday season there's something sweet and satisfying about making it for gift giving and special occasions. More candy recipes you may also like to try:
- Toffee Peanut Clusters are certain to become a family favorite.
- Enjoy these Bourbon Pecan Pralines as a decadent sweet Southern treat.
- You can tint these Easy Cream Cheese Mints in any color to suit the occasion.
- Sweet and Salty Potato Chip Clusters are impossible to resist.
- Brown Sugar Walnut Fudge (Penuche) is a creamy delight.
- These cute as a button Turtle Pretzels are always a winning option.
- Believe It Or Not Candy Bars from Karo Syrup.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt OR table salt
- Line an 8 x 8 baking dish or large pie dish with parchment paper, leaving at least 1 inch overhang.
- Add sugar, water, corn syrup, and honey to a medium size heavy bottomed saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer. Whisk to combine. Heat over medium heat cooking until clear and the the mixture reaches 300°F.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in baking soda, vanilla and salt. The mixture will foam up, whisk just until fully incorporated.
- Use a rubber spatula to carefully push and pour the mixture into the prepared pan. (Don't spread or press down the mixture or it will deflate the bubbles.)
- Let cool completely then remove from the pan using the overhang parchment.
- Break into individual random pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. (See the Cook's note for optional chocolate topping instructions.)
- To make a Chocolate Topping : In a double boiler over simmering water melt 1 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips with 1 ½ teaspoons of solid vegetable shortening (or coconut oil) stirring until completely smooth. Once the honeycomb is completely cooled and set, gently spread the warm chocolate on top and let dry. Then remove from the pan using the parchment paper and use a sharp knife to cut or break into pieces.
- Please note: Nutritional data should always be considered an estimate as it can vary depending on how the finished product is divided.
Hi may I know approx how many minutes cause I dont have a thermometer
For this recipe you need one you'd just be guessing otherwise.