When time is short and you need a meal in a hurry these semi-homemade Maple-Chipotle Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches will solve your meal time dilemma. Rotisserie chicken is combined with sweet onion sauteed in butter, chopped chipotle pepper, pure maple syrup and prepared barbecue sauce then gently simmered on the stovetop until heated through. I recommend serving the pulled barbecue chicken on buttered and toasted onion rolls for a taste that's simply spectacular. Easy to make and even easier to eat.
I love making homemade grilling and barbecue sauces but, some days, there's simply not enough time. Those are the days I reach for a prepared sauce as a base, adding a few ingredients to personalize it to my family's taste. For these chicken sandwiches, you can use leftover chicken or it's the perfect opportunity to stop by your local grocery store and pick-up a cooked rotisserie chicken. They can be a life saver on busy days. Let the sauce simmer while you shred the chicken and you're good to go. These superb barbecue chicken sandwiches take around 15 minutes to prepare. Busy day meals don't come any easier or tastier than that.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Maple-Chipotle Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Seasoned salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced
- 1-2 tsp adobo sauce [more or less to taste]
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups prepared barbecue sauce [i.e Sweet Baby Ray's]
- ⅓ cup chicken stock or water
- 4-5 cups Rotisserie chicken shredded
- Toasted onion rolls or kaiser rolls for serving
- In a medium sauce pan, sauté diced onion in 1 Tbsp of butter. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, then add two minced cloves of garlic. Saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add the chipotle pepper, 1-2 tsp adobo sauce, maple syrup, 1 ½ cups prepared barbecue sauce.Thin the sauce with up to ⅓ cup of chicken stock or water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes stirring periodically. [Tip: For a smooth sauce puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor prior to adding the chicken.]
- Use 2 forks to pull apart the chicken. Add to the simmering sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes just until heated through,
- Serve immediately on onion rolls or kaiser rolls with a side of slaw