Crockpot Chicken and Rice is a hearty one pot meal made in a slow cooker. Italian marinated chicken breasts are cooked with a flavorful rice pilaf that's rich and filling. It's guaranteed to become a family favorite you can enjoy any night of the week.
Crockpot Chicken and Rice
I'm a busy Mom so, one pot meals save the day when the kids schedules consume our lives. During the summer, it's not quite as harried but, during the school year meals can be a real challenge. I'm convinced that's why so many people hit the drive thru after a busy day. Believe me, I get it. That said, with simple ingredients and a little preparation in advance you can have a delicious meal on the table in a snap. Dishes like One Pot Chicken Fettuccine and One Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce are just a couple of our stovetop favorites. This chicken and rice dish utilizes the crockpot. The sheer beauty of crockpot cooking is, dinner simmers while you run errands and complete tasks for the day. That's a win-win for me.
Crockpot Cooking Tips
Things to remember:
- Crockpots vary wildly in how they cook depending on shape, age and manufacturer. Get to know your appliance and how it works and make adjustments to cooking times, as needed.
- You may adapt the flavor of the marinade using the same amount, to suit your taste. The marinade lends a delicious flavor to the chicken that also adds to the overall flavor of the dish while cooking.
- Crockpots, AKA slow cookers, are a moist cooking environment. So, the areas that are exposed to the heat source are what may brown or become a bit crisp, not the top.
- Long grain rice holds up best to the slow cooking process.
- If you prefer to cook this for a longer period, note that the rice may take on a more creamy texture. The recipe will work but, I recommend cooking this dish on the high setting when time allows.
- You may adapt the flavor of the cheese in this recipe to your taste or use what you have on hand.
Other slow cooker dishes you may like to try is this recipe for Pineapple Barbecue Chicken or hearty Slow Cooker Three Meat Lasagna when you're in the mood for Italian night at home. You may also like to try this Slow Cooker Crack Chicken from Eating on a Dime.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup prepared Italian dressing
- olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 8 oz container sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 rib celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth plus additional as needed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tsp herbs de provence OR dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper divided
- ½ tsp dry tarragon
- 1 Tbsp butter cubed
- 4 oz onion and chive cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided. (OR use your favorite)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh chives for garnishing optional
- Place chicken into a gallon size plastic storage bag. Pour Italian dressing on top. Seal and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- To assemble: In a large skillet over medium high heat saute onion, celery and mushrooms in a couple drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 3-5 minutes until softened. Add garlic, saute for 1 minute longer. Add chicken broth, scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet. Remove from heat.
- Spray bottom and sides of 6 quart slow cooker or similar, with cooking spray. Pour vegetables and broth into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add rice, herbs de provence, garlic salt, ½ tsp lemon pepper and tarragon. Mix well.
- Remove chicken from marinade and arrange over rice. Sprinkle with remaining lemon pepper and dot with 1 Tbsp butter. Discard marinade.
- Cover tightly and cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours. Adjust times based on your individual appliance.
- Remove cooked chicken to a platter. To the rice add cream cheese, ½ shredded cheese, peas and Parmesan cheese stirring through the rice until melted and combined. Add additional chicken stock to moisten as needed. Place chicken on top of rice, sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Cover and keep warm until cheese has melted. Garnish with fresh chives before serving, if desired.