Crockpot Chicken And Dressing Casserole is packed with flavor and can be served straight from your slow cooker. Enjoy a heaping helping for dinner with a side of homemade mashed potatoes and green beans for a comfort food feast any time of year.
Crockpot Chicken And Dressing Casserole
True to my Southern roots, I frequently refer to stuffing as dressing. In particular if there’s cornbread involved. This easy slow cooked casserole is made with chicken breasts, smothered with a flavorful easy sauce, that’s then topped with cornbread dressing flavored with onion and celery. While I’m not one to cook with canned soups very often, in this recipe it works like a charm and adds to the ease of preparation. Everything in moderation, right? For an oven version you may like to also checkout my chicken and dressing casserole that can can be handy for those days you’d prefer making this comforting dish in the oven.
Tips and Pointers:
- I prepare this casserole in my 6 quart oval slow cooker. You can, of course, make this in any shape slow cooker that you have. See more tips for successful slow cooking here on Food Network.
- Keep in mind, slow cookers vary wildly in how quickly they cook from brand to brand as well as age. Know your appliance and adjust cooking times as needed, for the best end result.
- The chicken breasts I used in this recipe were large and thick. I simply cut them in half. If you’re using thinner pieces, this may not be necessary.
- There is only a small amount of added salt used to season the chicken breasts in this dish. This is due to the fact that there’s ample in the soups and the gravy mix that smothers the chicken breasts. You may taste the sauce and and adjust to your taste, if desired.
- You may use 2 packages of dressing mix if you prefer a more dry consistency with no other adjustments,
- My slow cooker has a removable crock, so, I often assemble this entire dish in the crock the night before, cover and chill. In the morning, after allowing it to warm on the counter for 15 minutes, I place the crock into the slow cooker and set the time to cook while I’m away from home. Before doing this, check your appliances manufacturers recommendation regarding any safety precautions or recommendations needed for chilling a dish in the removable crock.
- At the end of cooking, you may take 2 forks and gently shred the chicken pieces, if desired. As the casserole rests, the gravy will continue to thicken.
- I love a splash of green for garnishing any finished dish. I used chives but, you can top this with fresh sage or parsley or omit altogether.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Crockpot Chicken and Dressing Casserole
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10 oz can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 0.8 oz dry chicken gravy mix
- 1 6 oz box cornbread stuffing/dressing mix
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer on bottom. Season with poultry seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic and salt.
- In a skillet on the stovetop, cook the onion and celery with butter over medium-high heat. Cook until softened and beginning to brown. about 3-5 minutes Season with black pepper to taste..
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together, both soups, chicken broth and gravy mix. Pour 3/4 evenly over chicken in crockpot.
- Add the stuffing/dressing mix and cooked vegetables to remaining soup in bowl. Mix well then spread on top. Place lid firmly into place
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low. Allow to sit uncovered for 15 minutes prior to serving. May fluff dressing with a fork, if desired.