There’s nothing like a stack of homemade Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes for breakfast or brunch. Top them with butter and a drizzle of syrup to kick start your day.
Easy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes Recipe
Some days, I just can’t help myself but make these decadent pancakes for my boys. They’re quite happy to eat these pancakes for breakfast with butter and maple syrup or for dessert with chocolate syrup and whipped cream. How to make homemade Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes: (Scroll down for full printable recipe).
- Oatmeal – Place old fashioned oats and milk in a medium size mixing bowl. Set aside for 8-10 minutes to softened.
- Dry Ingredients – Once the oatmeal has softened add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix until fully combined.
- Wet Ingredients – To the dry ingredients add the egg, melted butter and chocolate chips mixing together until fully blended.
- How to Fry Pancakes – Heat a non stick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat adding a mixture of vegetable oil and melted butter.
- Using a standard size 4 ounce ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup to divide the batter for each pancake spreading into 3 inch rounds.
- Cook the pancakes for 2 minutes per side, carefully flip when tops are covered with bubbles and the edges are lightly browned and cooked.
- You can sprinkle more chocolate chips to the wet side before turning. Cook in batches until golden brown adding more oil and butter to the pan between each batch.
- Serve immediately with butter and aa drizzle of maple syrup or chocolate syrup and whipped cream.
How to Make the Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes recipe: Old fashioned oats, whole milk or buttermilk, all purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, large egg, melted butter and chocolate chips for the pancake batter. You’ll also need butter and oil for frying.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A non stick skillet or griddle, measuring cups and spoons, turning spatula, medium bowl, whisk and small bowl to melt the butter for the batter.
- Please note, this recipe specifically utilizes old fashioned oats, not quick cooking or instant.
- Soaking the oats prior to incorporating with the other ingredients allows them time to soften and absorb the liquid. It’s an important step, don’t skip it.
- Depending on how you divide the pancake batter, the yield may vary. If you make the rounds large, you’ll have less pancakes and if you make them smaller, you’ll end up with more. Adjust to how many you need and you can’t go wrong.
- These pancakes can be made, cooled and wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to one month. Reheat gently in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
- You can use semi sweet or milk chocolate chips in this recipe with no other adjustments needed.
- You can store leftover oatmeal pancakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in single serving portions.
- You can also freeze oatmeal chocolate chip pancakes for up to 1 month.
Use Old Fashioned Oats to make Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe
The old fashioned oats give these pancakes the most spectacular texture that appeals to our family’s love for oatmeal. Whether I’m baking a batch of loaded oatmeal chocolate chip cookies or baking apple cinnamon baked oatmeal for brunch I can always find oatmeal in my pantry. It’s a pantry staple that has so many uses, I keep it on hand.
More Southern Style Recipes Using Oatmeal to Make
Whether oatmeal is served in a bowl with sugar and milk or used as an ingredient in a dessert such as homemade pies, cakes or cookies it’s a homespun addition filled with comfort. Checkout these popular recipes for more oatmeal inspiration that you may like to try:
- Oatmeal Pie is a terrific stand-in for Southern Pecan Pie for those with nut allergies.
- Old fashioned Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut Pecan Frosting is a retro cake that everyone will love.
- Start your morning with this Apple Baked Oatmeal.
- Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies are sheer indulgence.
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are the perfect snack with a tall glass of milk.
- No bake Oatmeal Energy Balls from Well Plated.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1/2-2/3 cup milk chocolate chips plus additional as needed
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- 3 Tbsp butter for frying
- Place oats and milk in a medium size mixing bowl. Set aside for 8-10 minutes until softened.
- To the softened oatmeal add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix until fully combined.
- Add egg, melted butter and chocolate chips, mixing until blended.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat add 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter, melt together.
- Using a standard size 4 ounce ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup divide the batter for each pancake into approximately 3 inch rounds.
- Cook for 2 minutes per side, carefully turn when tops are covered with bubbles and edges are browned and cooked. Add more chocolate chips, if desired before turning. Cook in batches adding more oil and butter to the pan between each batch, as needed.
- Serve immediately with butter and maple or chocolate syrup and whipped cream.