This Salisbury Steak with Onion And Mushroom Gravy is true comfort food. It's often referred to as "hamburger steak" and I admit, calling it "Salisbury Steak" does roll off the tongue a little more smoothly doesn't it? The Salisbury steaks are cooked on the stovetop then smothered with a rich onion-mushroom pan gravy and it's ready to serve with your favorite country style sides.
Salisbury Steak with Onion and Mushroom Gravy
My Mom made this Salisbury steak and gravy for us regularly when during my childhood. My family didn't have "high end" steak very often so, the tasty more cost effective ground beef was what you would most often find in it's place on our supper table. She always made a decadent pan gravy to go with it, and creamy mashed potatoes as a side was a must! Fresh from the garden peas, corn, green beans, sauteed greens or spinach would always go well to round out the entire meal. If you feel inclined, a little sweet tea and biscuits to sop up the gravy wouldn't hurt......It's down home goodness that will never get old in my cookbook.
Tips for Making Salisbury Steak with Onion and Mushroom Gravy
- Busy days call for make-ahead meal prep. Prep the onion and mushrooms and place into plastic storage bags and into the fridge for a time saver.
- The ground beef mixture can also be prepared in advance, formed into steaks, then placed into an airtight container. This may done the night before, then they're ready to go when you'[re ready to prepare dinner.
- Don't be intimidated by the ingredient list. These are all simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand.
- Please feel free to use your favorite steak seasoning. When doing so, you may need to adjust some of the other seasonings as well. Use a quality product for the best end result.
- Another fun way to enjoy these flavors is to turn it into these Salisbury steak and gravy meatballs from Farm Wife Cooks.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Salisbury Steak with Onion And Mushroom Gravy
Servings: 4 steaks
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp steak sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ tsp Kansas City steak seasoning
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- olive oil
- For the gravy:
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 8 oz sliced portabella mushrooms
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 14 oz can low sodium beef broth
- 3 Tbsp chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp steak sauce
- 1 tsp Kansas City steak seasoning
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- black pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, chili sauce, steak sauce, egg, steak seasoning, garlic and onion powders. Mix until blended.
- Form into 4 large, 6 medium, or 8 small oval steaks. I use a spoon to roughly divide the mixture while it's still in the bowl.
- Drizzle a large skillet with a few drizzles of olive oil. Brown the steaks over medium-high heat on both sides, then remove from the pan. (It's not necessary to cook them all the way through at this point, just brown.)
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings and discard the rest from the skillet. Add the sliced onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook over medium-high for 2-3 minutes scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add ¼ cup of flour and stir well coating the veggies.
- Add the broth, chili sauce and seasonings to the mushrooms. Stir until blended and allow to bubble and thicken slightly for 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to simmer and return the Salisbury steaks to the gravy.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Uncover and check the gravy for thickness. If it needs thickening, dissolve 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour in cold water, and add it to the gravy, stirring constantly. Continue this process until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.
To add a rich brown color to the gravy use a concentrated beef flavoring or browning sauce like Kitchen Bouquet. Add in small amounts adjusting to your taste.