Serve these flavorful puff pastry Sausage Cream Cheese Bites as an appetizer, weekend brunch, parties or as a holiday starter. They're an appetizing start to any day.
Sausage Cream Cheese Bites
Puff pastry is a lifesaver for making both sweet and savory dishes alike. I use it to make apple strudel and caramel apple turnovers as well as sundried tomato puff pinwheels and classic beef wellington. It's buttery flaky layers compliment a plethora of dishes and it shines in these sausage filled cream cheese bites.
Tips for Making Sausage Cream Cheese Bites
Puff pastry isn't difficult to work with but, it's important to follow the package directions for thawing for the best results.
- The sausage filling can be prepared in advance, covered and chilled to save time.
- When rolling the puff pastry, be patient. It takes just a few minutes to reach the desired size. It works best if you roll from side to side and then end to end several times, then repeat, until it's the proper size.
- You can assemble these sausage bites on the pan, cover and chill. Then, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning just before baking. If you choose to do so, leave it on the counter for 15 minutes to warm just a bit before baking.
- When this bakes, the pastry puffs on top. It will settle as it rests on the counter. Don't force it down, let it settle on it's own.
- Puff pastry is flaky by nature. When cutting use a sharp knife and make clean cuts. Some flaking is normal.
When to Serve Sausage Cream Cheese Bites
These sausage bites would be a fantastic addition to the menu for Easter, Mother's Day or Christmas brunch. They could also be enjoyed at casual events such as football and parties where handheld snacks are being served. Enjoy with your New Years Eve hors-d'oeuvres and on Thanksgiving morning to keep the masses occupied while meal prep is underway. For more puff pastry inspiration, checkout my article on Parade featuring 30 Sweet and Savory Puff Pastry Recipes for all occasions.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sausage Cream Cheese Bites
- 1 17.3 oz box frozen puff pastry (2 sheets) thawed per package instructions
- 1 ½ lbs pork breakfast sausage hot or mild, your preference
- 12 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon cold water beaten together for egg wash
- 1-2 tablespoon Everything bagel seasoning adjust amount to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Pour excess fat from pan.
- To the sausage add cream cheese. Stir over low just until melted and completely combined. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry into roughly a 16 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Brush the edges of each sheet with egg wash. Place one sheet on pan. Spread sausage mixture evenly to within ½ inch of edges. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Press second puff pastry sheet over sausage. Use a fork or pastry wheel to seal edges. Brush entire surface with egg wash. Sprinkle with Everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Let stand on pan for 5-10 minutes to allow pasty to settle.
- Cut into 30 even pieces and serve. (May also cut into squares and then triangles, if desired)