Serve these flavorful puff pastry Sausage Cream Cheese Bites as an appetizer, weekend brunch, parties or as a holiday starter. They're an appetizing start to any day.
Easy Sausage Cream Cheese Bites Recipe
Puff pastry is a lifesaver for making both sweet and savory dishes alike. It's buttery flaky layers complement a plethora of dishes and it shines in these sausage filled cream cheese bites. How do you make Sausage Bites? Thaw the puff pastry per the package directions either in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter. Roll it into a rectangle. Prepare the filling by cooking the sausage until no pink remains. Drain the excess fat then mix it with the cream cheese. Spread it over the puff pastry, sprinkle with cheese and seal. Brush all over with egg wash, season the top with Everything Bagel seasoning and bake until golden.
How to Make the Best Sausage Cream Cheese Bites Recipe
Puff pastry isn't difficult to work with but, it's important to follow the package directions for thawing for the best results.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Sausage Cream Cheese Bites: Frozen puff pastry, one pound breakfast sausage (i.e. Jimmy Dean or similar) softened chive and onion cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, one large egg and Everything Bagel seasoning.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A skillet, large sheet pan, large bowl, small bowl and whisk, fork, measuring spoon, cheese grater, pastry brush for brushing the puff pastry with the egg wash.
- The sausage filling can be fully prepared one day in advance, covered and chilled in the refrigerator for a timesaver.
- When rolling the puff pastry, be patient. It takes just a few minutes to reach the desired size. It works best if you roll from side to side and then end to end several times, then repeat, until it's the proper size.
- You can assemble these sausage bites on the pan, cover and chill overnight. Brush with the beaten egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning just before baking. If you choose to do so, leave them on the counter for 15-20 minutes to warm just a bit before baking. You may also need to add to the baking time.
- Please note, when the sausage bites bake the pastry will puff up on top. No worries, it will settle as it rests on the counter. Don't force it or try to pat it down, let it settle on it's own.
- Puff pastry is flaky by nature. When cutting into pieces use a sharp knife to make clean cuts. Some flaking is normal.
- You can cut these into any size pieces that you like depending on how may you'd like to end up with. You can also cut the squares into triangles, if desired.
- Store leftover Sausage Cream Cheese Bites chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in an air fryer (350°F) for 3-5 minutes or in single servings in the microwave.
When to Serve Sausage Cream Cheese Bites
These sausage bites would be a fantastic addition to the menu for Easter, Mother's Day or Christmas brunch. They could also be enjoyed at casual events such as football and parties where handheld snacks are being served. Enjoy with your New Years Eve hors-d'oeuvres and on Thanksgiving morning to keep the masses occupied while meal prep is underway. For more puff pastry inspiration, checkout my article on Parade featuring 30 Sweet and Savory Puff Pastry Recipes for all occasions.
More Puff Pastry Recipes to Make
More easy recipes using puff pastry that you may also like to try:
- Apple Strudel will take you from brunch to dessert.
- Caramel Apple Turnovers are drizzled with a vanilla cream glaze.
- These easy Cream Horns will be the hit of any party.
- Praline Pecan Brie en Croute is a holiday must-make.
- Sundried Tomato Puff Pinwheels are perfectly easy for bakers of all skill levels to make.
- Treat the family to Beef Wellington for an unforgettable entrée.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sausage Cream Cheese Bites
- 1 17.3 oz box frozen puff pastry (2 sheets) thawed per package instructions
- 1 ½ lbs pork breakfast sausage hot or mild, your preference
- 12 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon cold water beaten together for egg wash
- 1-2 tablespoon Everything bagel seasoning adjust amount to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Pour excess fat from pan.
- To the sausage add cream cheese. Stir over low just until melted and completely combined. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry into roughly a 16 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Brush the edges of each sheet with egg wash. Place one sheet on pan. Spread sausage mixture evenly to within ½ inch of edges. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Press second puff pastry sheet over sausage. Use a fork or pastry wheel to seal edges. Brush entire surface with egg wash. Sprinkle with Everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Let stand on pan for 5-10 minutes to allow pasty to settle.
- Cut into 30 even pieces and serve. (May also cut into squares and then triangles, if desired)