These Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers are stuffed with an easy homemade caramel apple filling wrapped in buttery puff pastry. The sweet cream glaze that’s drizzled on top is the perfect crowning touch. Serve them warm with vanilla ice cream for dessert, or as a tasty accompaniment to a cup of hot tea or coffee. They’re a sweet indulgence any time of day.
Easy Caramel Apple Filling
The caramel apple filling for these turnovers comes together with absolute ease cooking in around 5 minutes. I used Pink Lady apples that I had on hand but, you could certainly substitute with your favorite variety of apples. When using a different variety of apples keep in mind each will cook differently so be prepared to adjust the amount of cornstarch needed to thicken the sauce.
Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers
If you prefer, I specifically developed this recipe to make it easy to half for a smaller batch of turnovers. My kids love these and consider them a real treat so, I tend to always make a full batch as they reheat beautifully, too. They’re a sweet reminder of our favorite Tennessee apple orchard that offers delicious turnovers like these in their cider bar. You may also like to see how to make homemade caramel for dipping apples here on Parade.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers
- 4 cups 1/2 inch cubed apples (About 4 large) *See Cook's Note
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2-3 Tbsp cold water
- 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 17.3 oz package puff pastry, thawed per package instructions 2 sheets
- All Purpose flour for rolling
- 1 large beaten egg plus 1 Tbsp cold water for egg wash
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream plus additional as needed
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan cook together cubed apple, brown sugar, butter, dissolved cornstarch and water, apple pie spice and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high stirring constantly then lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes just until the apples have softened. Remove from the heat and add 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well, then chill.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Thaw the puff pastry sheets per the package instructions.
- Lightly dust a non-stick surface with flour. Roll each pastry sheet approximately 12-inch square. Cut each sheet into 9 equal squares. Brush with egg wash.
- Place 2 Tbsp of caramel apple filing into the center of each square. Fold the dough over the apple filling from corner to corner forming a triangle. Crimp the edges using a fork. Place 2-inch apart on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife cut 3 slits in the top of each pastry. Brush on all sides with egg wash.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden and puffed. Remove from the pan to a cooling rack.
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and cream until sugar has dissolved. Add additional cream 1 Tbsp at a time until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over turnovers.
- Store in an airtight container chilled or at room temperature.
2) This recipe may be halved, if desired.