These Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers are stuffed with an easy homemade caramel apple filling wrapped in buttery puff pastry. The sweet cream glaze that's drizzled on top is the perfect crowning touch. Serve them warm with vanilla ice cream for dessert, or as a tasty accompaniment to a cup of hot tea or coffee. They're a sweet indulgence any time of day.
Easy Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers Recipe
The caramel apple filling for these turnovers comes together with absolute ease cooking in around 5 minutes. I used Pink Lady apples that I had on hand but, you could certainly substitute with your favorite variety of apples. When using a different variety of apples keep in mind each will cook differently so be prepared to adjust the amount of cornstarch needed to thicken the sauce.
How to Make the Best Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers Recipe
These pastries are a sweet reminder of our favorite Tennessee apple orchard that offers delicious turnovers in their cider bar.
- Ingredients you'll need for homemade Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers: Puff pastry, Granny Smith apples, light brown sugar, cornstarch, butter, apple pie spice, salt, vanilla extract, powdered sugar and beaten egg wash. You'll also need a small amount of all purpose flour for rolling out the puff pastry.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A sharp knife, a saucepan, measuring cups and spoons. a sheet pan for baking, mixing bowls, a spoon for stirring the cooked apples and glaze, a pastry brush and an apple corer.
- I specifically developed this recipe to make it easy to cut the amounts in half for a smaller batch of turnovers.
- My kids love these and consider them a real treat so, I tend to always make a full batch as they reheat beautifully, too.
- You can make the caramel apple filling in advance and chill to expedite assembly.
- If you'd like to make a full batch and freeze some, you can. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze individually then pop into a storage bag or freezer safe container. You can then pull them out individually to bake from frozen at the same oven temperature, adjusting the baking time as needed to bake through.
- Store leftover Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers chilled or at room temperature for up to 3 days.
More Southern Style Apple Recipes to Make
Apples can take you from sweet to savory and should have a regular place on the menu based on flavor alone. More recipes using apples you may like to try:
- Homemade Caramel Apple Crisp topped with vanilla ice cream.
- Braised Pork Chops with Cabbage and Apples is a one dish meal.
- Easy Cider Glazed Apple Dumplings using canned biscuits.
- Southern Fried Apples can be served as a side dish or a dessert.
- Apple Baked Oatmeal is a fabulous start to any day.
- You may also like this Apple Pie Milkshake recipe from A Foodie Affair.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers
- 4 cups ½ inch cubed apples (About 4 large) *See Cook's Note
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2-3 tablespoon cold water
- 1 ½ teaspoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 17.3 oz package puff pastry, thawed per package instructions 2 sheets
- All Purpose flour for rolling
- 1 large beaten egg plus 1 tablespoon cold water for egg wash
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoon heavy cream plus additional as needed
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan cook together cubed apple, brown sugar, butter, dissolved cornstarch and water, apple pie spice and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high stirring constantly then lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes just until the apples have softened. Remove from the heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well, then chill.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Thaw the puff pastry sheets per the package instructions.
- Lightly dust a non-stick surface with flour. Roll each pastry sheet approximately 12-inch square. Cut each sheet into 9 equal squares. Brush with egg wash.
- Place 2 tablespoon of caramel apple filing into the center of each square. Fold the dough over the apple filling from corner to corner forming a triangle. Crimp the edges using a fork. Place 2-inch apart on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife cut 3 slits in the top of each pastry. Brush on all sides with egg wash.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden and puffed. Remove from the pan to a cooling rack.
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and cream until sugar has dissolved. Add additional cream 1 tablespoon at a time until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over turnovers.
- Store in an airtight container chilled or at room temperature.
2) This recipe may be halved, if desired.
Hi, The caramel apple turnovers look fabulous I definitely have to make these thanks for sharing Melissa
They are super yummy, hope you enjoy!