These glazed caramel apple turnovers are filled with an easy homemade caramel apple filling that’s wrapped in buttery puff pastry. The sweet cream glaze that’s drizzled on top is the perfect crowning touch. Serve them warm with vanilla ice cream for dessert or as a tasty accompaniment to a cup of hot tea or coffee as an anytime of day indulgence.
The caramel apple filling for these turnovers comes together with absolute ease cooking in around 5 minutes. I used Pink Lady apples that I had on hand but, you could certainly substitute with your favorite variety of apples. When using a different variety of apples keep in mind each will cook differently so be prepared to adjust the amount of cornstarch needed to thicken the sauce.
If you like, this recipe can be halved for a smaller batch of turnovers. My kids love these and consider them a real treat so I tend to always make a full batch as they reheat beautifully, too. They’re a sweet reminder of our favorite Tennessee apple orchard that offers delicious turnovers like these in their cider bar.
Glazed Caramel Apple Turnovers
- 4 cups 1/2 inch cubed apples (Anout 4 large) *See Cook's Note
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2-3 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 17.3 oz package puff pastry, thawed per package instructions (2 sheets)
- All Purpose flour for rolling
- Egg wash 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream plus additional as needed
- Cube the apples In a heavy bottomed saucepan cook together the apple, brown sugar, butter, dissolved cornstarch and water, apple pie spice and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high stirring constantly then lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes just until the apples have softened. Remove from the heat and add 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well, then chill.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Thaw the puff pastry sheets per the package instructions.
- Lightly dust a non-stick surface with flour. Roll each pastry sheet to 12-inch square. Cut each sheet into 9 equal squares. Brush with egg wash.
- Place 2 Tbsp of caramel apple filing into the center of each square. Fold the dough over the apples and crimp the edges using a fork. Place 2-inch apart on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife cut 3 slits in the top and brush the turnovers on all sides with egg wash.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden and puffed. Remove from the pan to a cooling rack.
- To glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and cream to make the glaze. Add additional cream 1 Tbsp at a time until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over the turnovers.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature.
1) This recipe was developed using Pink Lady apples. Any apple may be used but each variety will cook slightly differently. Adjust the thickness of the sauce using more or less cornstarch, as needed.
2) This recipe may be halved, if desired.