Easy Skillet Honey Cornbread Recipe
How to Make the Best Skillet Honey Cornbread Recipe
If you want to start a spirited debate in the South, ask if there should be sugar in cornbread. Everyone has their own personal preferences and while I do love a savory cornbread, I’ve got nothing against a recipe that includes a little sugar or honey for sweetness. In fact, I’m an equal opportunity cornbread fan, no debate required. Add this delicious and simple homemade skillet honey cornbread to your dinner rotation and enjoy a taste of the South in your mouth.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Skillet Honey Cornbread: Plain cornmeal, all purpose flour, melted butter, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, honey, large eggs and vegetable oil.
- I bake this cornbread in a cast iron skillet and I highly recommend that you do the same. That said, if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can use any similar size oven safe skillet or baking dish.
- How do you make cornbread? For this recipe you’ll begin by placing the cast iron skillet with butter into the oven to preheat. Next, in a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, honey, eggs and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until fully blended. Pour the cornbread mixture into the hot skillet and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center show moist crumbs.
- You can bake, cool and freeze homemade cornbread for up to one month.
- Store leftover honey cornbread tightly wrapped at room temperature for up to 2 days or chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat leftover cornbread in single pieces in the microwave and serve slathered with sweet cream butter and honey.
More Southern Style Cornbread Recipes To Make
No matter the occasion, this skillet honey cornbread is simply spectacular. Using honey in the batter gives it an slightly delicate texture. It’s a true taste of the South. Serve it with a bowl of pinto beans, taco soup or a big bowl of Texas style chili for supper. More cornbread recipes you may like to try:
- Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread will bring the heat to a simple bowl of beans.
- Stuffed Mexican Cornbread is practically a meal itself stuffed with seasoned taco seasoned ground beef.
- Broccoli Cheese Cornbread recipe will have the kiddos eating their vegetables and loving it!
- Turn leftover pork into this Pulled Pork Stuffed Cornbread recipe.
- Ham and Cheddar Cornbread turns holiday ham into a delicious round to meal.
- You may also like this recipe for Honey White Bread from Food Network.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Skillet Honey Cornbread
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the butter into a 9-inch cast iron skillet and into the oven while it preheats, to melt. [Alternative: Use an 9 x 9 heavy metal baking or pie pan]
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, honey and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixing just until combined.
- Swirl the melted butter to coat the sides and bottom of the skillet, then pour the batter into the cast iron skillet.
- Place into the oven. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Serve with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey.