Iron Skillet Ham and Cheddar Cornbread Recipe
I have a 10-inch cast iron skillet that my Mom gave to me several years ago. It's perfect for making cornbread like this ham, cheese and corn filled skillet cornbread. I came across my skillet while sorting through my cabinets recently and after one look it was obvious, that it needed a little TLC. So, I set about to bring my skillet back to life. Cast iron skillets need to be used and kept "seasoned." New cast iron skillets have been pre-seasoned during manufacturing, but, if you're as fortunate as I am, to have been gifted a "hand me down" skillet you may need to bring it back to life. You can read more about seasoning cast iron on the Lodge Cast Iron website here.
Iron Skillet Ham and Cheddar Cornbread
After researching how to re-season my skillet successfully, I was chomping at the bit to give it a whirl. I decided to bake a batch of ham and cheddar cornbread to use some delectable ham I had in the freezer. If you've never cooked in cast iron, you're really in for a treat. Food actually tastes different when cooked in cast iron. Having my cast iron skillet back in circulation not only for making cornbread but also, main dish meals like my Nacho Beef Rotini Skillet and desserts like Apple Pie and more. Another cornbread recipe you may like to try is this Cracked Out Sour Cream Cornbread from Plain Chicken.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Skillet Ham and Cheddar Cornbread
- 2 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup plain white cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup small diced ham
- 1 ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup whole kernel sweet corn
- 4 chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place 2 tablespoons of solid vegetable shortening into a 10 inch cast iron skillet and set it into the oven to preheat and melt the shortening.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, garlic and onion powders.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vegetable oil and eggs until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until all of the dry ingredients are fully moistened.
- Next, add ham, 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, corn and green onions to the batter. Mix well.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and swirl the melted shortening around the pan coating the bottom and sides completely. Discard any excess.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.