Southern Barbecue Baked Beans – These baked beans are an easy, classic, Southern side dish. This simple preparation is a throwback to how my Grandmother’s prepared their baked beans with a few twists. For these beans, you can cook and crumble the bacon and add it to the beans prior to baking or lay the bacon strips on top. The bacon strips placed on top of the beans is how my Mom and Gramma’s made them for every family and church potluck I ever attended.
The purpose of bacon is always to add smoke and a kicked-up layer of flavor. Either way you choose, bacon is a must! You’ll likely find some version of these beans at any Summer cookout or barbecue but, at my house, it’s an anytime dish. This meaty dish could be a meal in itself, when served over a hot buttered corn bread or corn muffins…now that’s some Southern love!
See it at The Weekend Potluck here
Southern Barbecue Baked Beans
Author: Melissa Sperka
- ½ medium green pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- seasoned salt & black pepper
- 2 [28 oz] cans hickory flavored baked beans
- ⅔ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 [10 oz] can chili seasoned tomatoes [such as Rotel Chili Fixin's]
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp barbecue seasoning [such as Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple or Barbecue Magic]
- 8 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled or 8 slices to lay on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add a couple of drizzles of olive oil to a 12-inch cast iron skillet or similar. or if cooking the bacon use the pan drippings.
- Saute the diced green pepper, onion and ground beef until no pink remains in the beef. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste. After browning, drain any excess fat from the pan before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix in the baked beans, barbecue sauce, chili style tomatoes, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, whole grain mustard and barbecue seasoning. Stiir until the ingredients are well blended. [This is the point you would add cooked and crumbled bacon, if you like.]
- Place into the oven and bake for 60-75 minuites.
- Stir well, and allow the baked beans to rest for 5-10 minutes on the counter before serving to allow the sauce to thicken.