These Southern Barbecue Baked Beans baked beans are an easy and classic Southern side dish. This simple preparation is a throwback to how my Grandmother's prepared their baked beans with a few twists. Perfectly seasoned and flavored with bacon these beefy beans are practically a meal in themselves. The ideal side dish for barbecue, family cookouts or picnics with friends.
Southern Barbecue Baked Beans
Bacon flavors these beans beautifully, naturally. The bacon may be added to the beans prior to baking or you can lay the raw bacon strips on top before baking. The bacon strips placed on top of the beans is how my Mom and Gramma's made them for every family and church potluck I ever attended. The purpose of bacon is always to add smoke and a kicked-up layer of flavor. Either way you choose to use it, bacon is a must! You'll likely find some version of baked beans at any Summer cookout or barbecue but, at our house, it's an anytime dish. These beefy baked beans could be served as a meal in itself, when served over a hot buttered corn bread or corn muffins for a true taste of the South in your mouth.
Other Baked Beans Recipes to Try
Other baked bean variations you may like to try:
- Slow Cooked Pork Ribs and Barbecue Beans
- Root Beer Baked Beans
- Crockpot Barbecue Pork and Beans from scratch recipe
- Crock Pot Bacon Baked Beans from Recipes that Crock.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Southern Barbecue Baked Beans
Servings: 12 servings
- 8 slices center cut bacon (Reserve 3 Tbsp drippings) cooked and crumbled or 8 slices to lay on top
- ½ medium green pepper finely diced
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- seasoned salt & black pepper
- 2 28 oz cans hickory flavored baked beans
- ⅔ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 10 oz can chili seasoned tomatoes i.e. Rotel Chili Fixin's
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp barbecue seasoning i.e. Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple or Barbecue Magic
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet or similar, saute the green pepper, onion and ground beef in reserved bacon drippings until no pink remains in the beef. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste. After browning, drain any excess fat from the pan.
- To the skillet add beans, barbecue sauce, chili style tomatoes, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, whole grain mustard and barbecue seasoning. Stir until the ingredients are well blended. Add crumbled bacon.
- Place into the oven and bake for 60-75 minuites.
- Stir well, and allow the baked beans to rest for 5-10 minutes on the counter before serving to allow the sauce to thicken.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 1062mg | Potassium: 348mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 2mg