These Easy Refried Beans are no stranger to anyone who loves Mexican or Tex-Mex food. The creamy texture of the smashed pinto beans along with the down home flavor puts it at the top of my list of favorite fiesta sides to make.
Easy Refried Beans Recipe
At one of our favorite local Mexican restaurants they have a super simple approach to refried beans. They begin with lard and salt, a touch of garlic and that's pretty much all they do to them. I love them and always order them with my entrée whether it's I'm having tacos, a taco salad or enchiladas each time we visit. Even though they're simple, the creamy texture is so pleasing. However, when I make refried beans at home I like to add my own twist to them and season to our liking. I skip the lard and start with bacon drippings and butter. I also add sweet onion and then have fun adding the seasonings we like. I find it's best to use canned pinto beans that have few seasonings in them giving me the opportunity to personalize them myself.
How to Make the Best Refried Beans Recipe
While these kind of Mexican refried beans are made slightly different by everyone, I like to punch the flavor up a bit starting with bacon drippings and sweet onion. Doing so, adds just the right amount of seasonings and a they're finished with sprinkling of cheese for the crowning touch. Whether they're enjoyed as a side dish or a quick dip with tortilla chips they're sure to make a delicious addition to your menu.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Refried Beans: 3 cans plain pinto beans, bacon drippings, diced onion, butter, taco sauce, chili powder, ground cumin, lemon pepper, garlic salt and shredded monterey jack cheese.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large skillet, a colander. sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons and a potato masher.
- You could make these refried beans with leftover cooked pinto beans. When doing so, consider the seasonings used in the beans and make any adjustments to the spices in the recipe as needed.
- You can make these beans up to 2 days in advance and store them chilled in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat over medium heat in a skillet and top with shredded monterey jack cheese just before serving.
- Store leftover Refried Beans in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them for up to 1 month.
- Serve these beans with tortilla chips or as a side for tacos, enchiladas, fajitas or burritos for a homemade fiesta any night of the week.
More Southern Style Beans Recipes to Make
Beans are a stellar choice whether you serve them as an entree or a side dish, More recipes that feature beans you may like to make:
- Pinto Bean Cakes are a tasty way to stretch leftover pinto beans into a round two meal.
- Homemade Baked Beans topped with bacon for flavor.
- Easy 5 Bean Salad can be made several days in advance and chilled until serving.
- Old fashioned Calico Beans is an easy casserole perfect for your next potluck.
- Easy Southern Succotash is filled with corn, baby lima beans and cherry tomatoes.
- For more fiesta bean recipes checkout this recipe for Instant Pot Charro Beans from Tastes Better From Scratch.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Refried Beans
- 1 small sweet onion minced
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 3 16 oz cans plain pinto beans (Do not drain)
- ¼ cup medium heat taco sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt additional to taste
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese divided
- In a heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat cook the onion, butter and bacon drippings for 3 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the beans, taco sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Mix well.
- Use a potato masher to mash the beans until chunky smooth. Cook until the beans begin to bubble.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the garlic salt to your taste.
- Add ½ of the cheese to the beans, stir until melted. Sprinkle the remaining on top.
- Serve immediately.