Treat the family to a big stack of these Apple Pancakes for breakfast weekend brunch! This pancake recipe features apples both in the pancake batter and a bonus apple compote recipe to spoon on top. They’re delicious drizzled with pure maple syrup just before serving.
Easy Apple Pancakes
While apples aren’t only a fall fruit these pancakes are a must make when apples are in abundance during apple season in the fall. To make Apple Pancakes, in a medium size mixing bow use a whisk to sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt with apple pie spice or ground cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixing until fully combined then fold in shredded Granny Smith apples. Fry them on a griddle or skillet until crispy and golden then enjoy topped with apple compote or butter and maple syrup.
How to Make the BEST Apple Pancakes Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Apple Pancakes: All purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, shredded Granny Smith apples, apple pie spice or ground cinnamon, buttermilk, melted butter, large eggs, vanilla extract and butter and vegetable oil for frying.
- To make the Apple Compote you’ll need: Cubed Granny Smith apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and apple pie spice or ground cinnamon.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Large bowl, medium bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, apple corer, box grater, ice cream scoop, griddle or large nonstick pan for frying.
- If making the Apple Compote you’ll need a medium saucepan, apple corer and peeler, box grater and measuring cups and spoons.
- These Apple Pancakes can be served with maple syrup and butter alone making the apple compote optional. You can also serve them with any combination of the aforementioned.
- You can use Gala apples or Honeycrisp apples in the recipe.
- You may choose to leave the peel on the apples when grating or peel them. It’s fine to go with your preference.
- Should you like to include the apple compote, it can be made one day in advance and popped into the refrigerator. When doing so, gently reheat just before serving. When reheating you may need to add a small amount of apple juice, apple cider or water and gently warm over medium heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan or on 50% powder in the microwave.
- You can make these pancakes and cool them completely, then freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw, then reheat in an oiled skillet or in the microwave.
- You can also reheat Apple Pancakes in an air fryer at 350°F for a few minutes to crisp or on a sheet pan in 375°F oven in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Store cooked Apple Pancakes chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Apple Recipes to Make
- You can also top these pancakes with this recipe for homemade Apple Pie Filling.
- Cinnamon sugar coated Apple Cider Doughnut Cake is always a winning option for dessert.
- Handheld Apple Pie Bars can be packaged up and taken camping, to cookouts or tailgating parties.
- Harvest Apple Bread is filled with Autumn flavors.
- Who could resists these glazed Apple Fritters. Double dip them if you dare!
- Cook a batch of this Cinnamon Spice Apple Butter in a slow cooker and the house smells heavenly, too.
- Apple Salsa from Tornadough Ali.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon OR apple pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk room temperature, well shaken
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely grated apple i.e. Granny Smith peeled and cored
- additional butter and vegetable oil for frying
- maple or caramel syrup plus butter for serving
- apple compote recipe below
- In a large bowl use a whisk to sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together buttermilk, eggs, butter and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry ingredients, mixing by hand until fully moistened. Fold in shredded apple, mixing to evenly distribute.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter on a griddle or large non stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Use a standard ice cream scoop or 1/3 cup meauring cup to evenly divide pancake batter.
- Fry in batches for 2 minutes per side or until puffed and golden. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- Serve immediately with butter, maple syrup and apple compote, if desired.
- To Make Apple Compote: (Optional)Ingredients: 4 cups apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch cubes i.e. Granny Smith or your favorite variety, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tsp vanilla extract.Directions: In a heavy bottomed saucepan, cook 4 cups of cubed apples, with granulated sugar, apple pie spice or cinnamon, lemon juice and salt. Cook over medium-low heat until tender. (about 20 minutes.) Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Thicken the juices with cornstarch dissolved in cold water, if needed. (This can be done one day in advance and reheated for serving.)