You’ll find cinnamon spice and everything nice is in this outstanding slow cooked Cinnamon Spice Apple Butter. Making and preparing apple butter is common practice here in the South. In fact, many churches and community groups still gather during apple season to peel, core, chop and cook bushels of apples to make apple butter. Often the freshly chopped apples are cooked the old fashioned way in a gigantic cast iron pot over a fire with many resident “stirrers” on hand to keep the sweet apple puree moving and prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Cinnamon Spice Apple Butter is a Taste of Nostalgia Made Easy
Apple butter making is a fun event to attend and of course, with all of those workers, there’s always a potluck spread to keep people happily munching while they work. Honest livin’ and good eats, equal great fun! To celebrate the first day of fall this year, I simmered sliced apples all day in my slow cooker to make my own homemade apple butter smothered with a sugar and spice blend to tantalize the taste buds. It’s worth the small amount of effort it takes to put it together then let your slow cooker do the work.
What are the Best Apples to Use?
Invariably, when I make apple butter someone will ask what are the best apples to use. Most agree that the softer apples will cook down the quickest. My advice is to use the apples you love, and a mix of varieties will yield a more complex flavor. Some varieties we love are Braeburn, Cortland, Crispin (Mutsu), McIntosh, Fuji, Golden Delicious. Gala, Honeycrisp and Rome. My answer is always the same, use whatever apples you enjoy most. Other apple desserts to try are these Perfect Homemade Caramel Dipped Apples on Parade or my Caramel Apple Poke Cake found here on MSSK.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cinnamon Spice Apple Butter
- 1 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice [or 1/4 tsp ground clove]
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 7-8 lb apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced [approx. 12 cups]
- 1 small lemon juiced
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, ginger allspice and salt.
- In the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker, arrange the thinly sliced apple pieces.
- Drizzle the juiced lemon over the top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the sugar and spice mixture over the apples and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, uncover and stir. Puree in the slow cooker until smooth using an immersion blender or ladle into a stand blender to puree. Add the vanilla, mix well.
- Store tightly sealed in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.