Cinnamon Spice Apple Butter – Making and preparing apple butter is common practice here in the South. In fact, many churches and community groups still gather during apple season to peel, core, chop and cook bushels of apples to make apple butter. Often the freshly chopped apples are cooked the old fashioned way in a gigantic cast iron pot over a fire with many resident “stirrers” on hand to keep the sweet apple puree moving and prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
It’s a fun event to attend and of course, with all of those workers, there’s always a potluck spread to keep people happily munching while they work. Honest livin’ and good eats, equal great fun! To celebrate the first day of fall, I slow cooked sliced apples all day in my slow cooker to make my own homemade apple butter; with a tasty sugar and spice blend to tantalize the taste buds. It’s worth the time to put it together and let your slow cooker do the work. This is what you do…
Ingredients you’ll need:
1 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp allspice [or 1/4 tsp ground clove]
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
7-8 lb apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced [approx. 12 cups]
1 small lemon, juiced
2 tsp pure vanilla
In a small mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, spices and salt.
Invariably, when I make apple butter someone will ask what are the best apples to use. Most agree that the softer apples will cook down the quickest. My advice is to use the apples you love, and a mix of varieties will yield a more complex flavor.
Here’s a list of several varieties we enjoy:
You may also like: Perfect Homemade Caramel Dipped Apples, Caramel Apple Poke Cake, Apple Butter Pie Bars, and Cranberry Apple Butter.
- 1½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp allspice [or ¼ tsp ground clove]
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 7-8 lb apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced [approx. 12 cups]
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, spices and salt.
- In the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker, arrange the thinly sliced apple pieces.
- Drizzle the juiced lemon over the top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the sugar and spice mixture over the apples and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, uncover and stir. Puree until smooth using an immersion blender or ladle into a stand blender.
- Mix in 2 tsp of pure vanilla.
- Store tightly sealed in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.