Southern Autumn Spiced Buttermilk Pie Recipe
How to Make the Best Autumn Spiced Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Autumn Spiced Buttermilk Pie: A 9 inch deep dish pie shell either frozen, refrigerated or homemade, buttermilk, large eggs, butter, all purpose flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, granulated sugar, baking soda and vanilla extract.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A whisk or a hand mixer to make the filling, a medium size mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a small bowl to melt the butter and a sheet pan to place the pie on for ease of moving in and out of the oven.
- You can use a refrigerated pie crust that's fitted into a pie dish or a frozen pie shell. When using a frozen pie shell, there's no need to thaw prior to filling.
- If you'd like to make your own crust, checkout my Flaky Pie Crust recipe.
- This is one time where you want to use full fat buttermilk if you can find it. If not, low fat will work but it's not ideal to use non fat.
- You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white distilled vinegar to one cup of whole milk. Allow it to stand on the counter for 5 minutes then stir and proceed with the recipe.
- Store Autumn Spiced Buttermilk Pie for up to 5 days chilled in the refrigerator.
- You can also freeze buttermilk pie for up to 1 month, Thaw in the refrigerator.
More Southern Style Pie Recipes to Make
Bakers of all skill levels can make homemade pies successfully. Whether you're creating a no bake warm weather dessert or making it completely from scratch, I've got many options for you to try. More pie recipes you may also like to make.
- Island inspired Pineapple Buttermilk Pie.
- Add a splash of citrus for this creamy Lemon Buttermilk Pie.
- Checkout my recipe for Chocolate Chess Pie.
- No holiday is complete without a Southern Pecan Pie on the desserts table.
- If berries are your jam, you'll love my recipe for Blueberry Pie.
- Butterscotch Pie is an oldie but goodie that never grows old.
- My Sweet Potato Pie features a crunchy streusel topping.
- Classic Rhubarb Pie from That Skinny Chicken Can Bake.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Autumn Spiced Buttermilk Pie
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie crust frozen or homemade
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg plus additional for dusting the top
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk [Not low fat]
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place pie shell on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry beating until well blended.
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell. If using a frozen pie shell, there's no need to thaw the pie shell first.
- Sprinkle the top with additional nutmeg. Bake for 50-65 minutes or until the center is set when gently shaken.
- Check the pie halfway through cooking and cover the edges if needed, to prevent over browning.
- Cool on a cooling rack to room temperature.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight before cutting.