This made from scratch Blueberry Pie Recipe features a homemade crust filled to the brim with sweet plump blueberries. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an All-American dessert.
Homemade Blueberry Pie Recipe
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I have three favorite kinds of pie. Warm, at room temperature and chilled. Whether the pie is an easy Mile High Banana Cream Pie, a semi homemade Caramel Swirl Cream Pie or a streusel topped Apple Crumb Pie I’m an equal opportunity pie lover. This blueberry pie is a spectacular choice when blueberries are on sale or in season, and it’s a vintage flavor that’s always a hit with crowds.
How to Make the Best Blueberry Pie Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make easy Blueberry Pie Recipe: One Flaky Pie Crust Recipe to make a double crust, 6-7 cups fresh blueberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, cubed butter, heavy cream and turbinado sugar for the top.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: 1 9 inch deep dish pie dish, mixing bowls, pastry cutter, measuring cups and spoons, a pastry wheel, lemon zester, pastry brush and aluminum foil or a pie crust protector to cover the edges of the pie while baking.
- Turbinado sugar or sugar in the raw is less likely to burn when sprinkled on top of baked goods and in this instance, the lattice crust. It adds shine and crunch to the top crust in this easy blueberry pie. To apply it, simply brushing the top lattice crust with heavy cream and a light sprinkle of turbinado sugar prior to baking.
- To add pizzazz you can also use small cookie cutters in various shapes to decorate the top crust.
- Allow the pie ample time to cool prior to slicing to give the juices time to congeal just a bit. If you like it warm, you can cut it sooner, it’s your call. I find it’s best to cool it completely, then warm it ever so slightly for serving a la mode with vanilla ice cream.
- Store leftover Blueberry Pie at room temperature or chilled for up to 5 days. It won’t last that long.
More Southern Style Blueberry Recipes to Make
Blueberries, once indigenous to North America, are now readily available in other parts of the world. More family friendly blueberry recipes you may like to to try:
- This Blueberry Yum Yum is a throwback dessert from childhood.
- Start your morning with a batch of Blueberry Muffins.
- This decadent White Chocolate Blueberry Bread Pudding is a true indulgence.
- Blueberry Lemon Trifle is packed with Spring flavors.
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes are a family favorite!
- Blueberry Sauce from Cincy Shopper.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Blueberry Pie Recipe
- 1 Flaky Pie Crust make in advance
- 6-7 cups fresh blueberries washed and dried
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp salted butter cubed
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp turbinadao sugar (Sugar in the raw)
- To make the crust: Make one recipe of Flaky Pie Crust.
- Make the filling: In a medium size bowl, mix together blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- To assemble: Heat oven to 425°F. Unwrap 1 pie crust disc. On a lightly floured surface, roll to roughly 12 inches in diameter. Lightly spray a 9 inch deep dish pie pan with cooking spray. Fit crust into pan pressing firmly onto bottom and sides, leaving 1 ½ inch overhang.
- Pour blueberry filling evenly into bottom crust. Dot all over the top with cubed butter.
- Roll out remaining crust on same lightly floured surface into roughly an 11 inch round. Use a pizza wheel to cut into 10-12 (½ inch) strips. Lay strips on top of blueberry filling according to length leaving even spacing between each strip.
- Weave alternating strips into a lattice pattern.Trim excess dough around edge evenly. Fold remaining crust under and tuck.
- Crimp the edge using the finger pinch method. Brush all over with heavy cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Cover edges with 2-3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake for 30-35 minutes then remove foil. Continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes or just until crust is golden brown.
- Cool on cooling rack at least 4 hours. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.