One dish meals like this Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole prove that food doesn't have to be fussy to be family-pleasing. A flavorful barbecue beef filling is topped with crispy tater tots and cheese. After baking, it's ready to serve with garlic bread or a salad on the side.
Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole
Casseroles are always a win for me. It's the kind of hearty tummy filling meal that my kids like to eat. Whether it's a beef and noodle bake, a Southwest casserole with a sweet corn bread crust or skillet cowboy rice, they can stretch ingredients into a meal with leftovers, too. Well, depending on the appetites of those you're serving, of course.
Tips for Making Tater Tot Casserole
- For this dish the tater tots I used are round, called crispy crowns. I like the different shape but, you can certainly use regular shaped tater tots. We all tend to eat with our eyes first and something as simple as changing the shape really appeals to kids of all ages.
- To save time, the filling can be made in advance, poured into the dish, covered and chilled. Tater tots need to remain frozen until baked so, just arrange them on top just before baking.
- You may use your favorite flavor or brand, of barbecue sauce, and make the filling to your family's taste. My family enjoys a bit of heat so, I used a honey-chipotle barbecue sauce. That fact alone made the taste of this casserole even sweeter.
Other Casseroles to Add to the Menu
- Italian seasoned Beef and Noodle Casserole.
- Stovetop Skillet Cowboy Rice Casserole.
- Southwestern Casserole with a Sweet Cornbread Crust for a homestyle fiesta.
- For a chicken variation, checkout this recipe for a BBQ Chicken Tater Tot Skillet from Amanda's Cookin'.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- olive oil
- 1 16 oz bottle barbecue sauce
- 1 14 oz can Mexican corn with peppers drained
- 1 10 oz can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 30 oz bag crispy crowns or tater tots
- 2 green onion thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spritz an 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet on the stovetop. cook ground beef and onion in a few drizzles of olive oil. Cook over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- To the beef add barbecue sauce, corn, tomatoes, barbecue seasoning, salt, pepper and cumin. Mix well, and simmer over medium for 5 minutes. Pour into the dish.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over the top. Arrange tater tots on top, lining the edge of the dish first.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the potatoes are crispy and golden. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese in the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese in the last 5 minutes of baking.
I omit the bbq seasoning and green onions out of sheer laziness and it is still divine. My favorite, thank you!
I'm so happy you're enjoying it, thanks!
Just made this for our meal tonight. According to your directions. Amazingly good! Thank you
I'm happy your family enjoyed it, thank you!
Yum! Made this many times! Sometimes I change up the Sauce and veggies! My Family loves it! Easy to makes also! Have a Wonderful Day!!
HI Teresa, I agree it's such a versatile dish and easy to improvise with ingredients, thanks!
Wonderful recipe Melissa. I don't know how you come up with all the new recipes, but I'm so happy you do!
That looks so good.I will try that soon.Thank you.
Thank you for the nice recipe.
This sounds delicious! I love tator tots and easy recipes. Pinned! =)
Love your new blog design.