One dish meals like this Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole prove that food doesn’t have to be fussy to be family-pleasing. A flavorful barbecue beef filling is topped with crispy tater tots and cheese. After baking, it’s ready to serve with garlic bread or a salad on the side.
Easy Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Casseroles are always a win for me. It’s the kind of hearty tummy filling meal that my kids like to eat. Whether it’s a beef and noodle bake, a Southwest casserole with a sweet corn bread crust or skillet cowboy rice, they can stretch ingredients into a meal with leftovers, too. Well, depending on the appetites of those you’re serving, of course.
How to Make the BEST Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole: Ground beef, frozen tater tots, olive oil, onion, barbecue sauce, Mexican corn, Rotel tomatoes, barbecue seasoning, cumin, black pepper, garlic salt, shredded cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Skillet, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, 13 x 9 inch baking dish and cheese grater.
- For this dish the tater tots I used are round called crispy crowns. I like the different shape, but you can certainly use regular shaped tater tots. We all tend to eat with our eyes first and something as simple as changing the shape really appeals to kids of all ages.
- To save time, the filling can be made in advance, poured into the dish then covered and chilled. Tater tots need to remain frozen until baked, so just arrange them on top just before baking.
- When chilling prior to baking, it’s a good idea to allow 15-20 minutes on the counter to allow it time to warm to room temperature.
- You can use shredded pepper jack cheese, colby jack cheese or monterey jack cheese.
- You could adapt this recipe using ground pork, turkey or chicken.
- You may use your favorite flavor or brand, of barbecue sauce, and make the filling to your family’s taste. My family enjoys a bit of heat, so I used a honey-chipotle barbecue sauce. Use a brand and flavor of barbecue sauce that you enjoy and you’ll be good to go.
- Store baked Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a 350°F oven, in an air fryer or in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Casserole Recipes to Make
- Italian seasoned Beef and Noodle Casserole.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Noodle Casserole is creamy and delicious.
- Stovetop Skillet Cowboy Rice Casserole will bring the heat to supper time.
- Southwestern Casserole with a Sweet Cornbread Crust for a homestyle fiesta.
- Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic combination that always wins.
- Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole can be served at any meal.
- For a chicken variation, checkout this recipe for a BBQ Chicken Tater Tot Skillet from Amanda’s Cookin’.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- olive oil
- 1 16 oz bottle barbecue sauce
- 1 14 oz can Mexican corn with peppers drained
- 1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 Tbsp barbecue seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 30 oz bag crispy crowns or tater tots
- 2 green onion thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spritz an 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet on the stovetop. cook ground beef and onion in a few drizzles of olive oil. Cook over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- To the beef add barbecue sauce, corn, tomatoes, barbecue seasoning, salt, pepper and cumin. Mix well, and simmer over medium for 5 minutes. Pour into the dish.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over the top. Arrange tater tots on top, lining the edge of the dish first.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the potatoes are crispy and golden. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese in the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese in the last 5 minutes of baking.